The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone's opinnion is on the cornering/handling abilities of our Altimas especially on the twisties compared to other cars in the range.
To me, there's no better feeling then going at it on twisties (empty,deer free,full tire check before-hand, and roads I know) at 80+mph...and in my experience, my 2nd gen almost seems eager to go faster the more twisted a road becomes. Sharp corners feel good too when taken at a reasonable speed.
My GTP feels even better on twisties (thx wide track), but I gota watch out for corners...feels like I'm driving a boat at that point....plus the stock suspension sucks compared to the Altima SE....so its only good on even road twisties...Altima's more fun/controllable overall in this department though. Wish I had a CompG:(
My friend's Mazda Navajo...dunno, feels too unstable.
Hummer, stuck to the ground regardless of the situation, but too damn slow to be any fun.
My dad's '03 Impala(base model)....decent handling for the size, but suspension's too mushy and not enough power.

Overall, I'd say to me, the Altima's the top pick of the cars I tried.

So what are your experiences with the 1st/2nd/3rd gen Altimas and how do you think they compare to other cars(in the class/price range) in the handling department on twisties/corners?

·
She said what?
148 Posts
I love the handling of my car. Ever since I put yoko avids on it it rides like a dream. Was very fun going to the mountains this summer with it. Only a couple of times I could feel my back end wanting to slip, I read somewhere that the super toe control can give that illusion. But otherwise its better that most of the cars I have driven out there.

BTW how does super toe control really work? Is it really that beneficial?

-Nick

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's Super Toe control?

I've also been in passenger seat with my friend driving an 02 Max...felt pretty stable and he didnt seem to be fighting the steering wheel...but the Altima still felt as if it was more "easy-going" on the winding roads.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
My 98 is dropped with 40 series tires, with front strut bar and rear sway bar. Man it takes corners great. Love it! When i roll with my stock tires (65 series), the corners are still good but not as good as the 40 series.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
super toe control was some sort of system on first gens (dunno if its on 2nd too) that was s'posed to make the back come out under hard cornering (lift off oversteer)

having driven many excellent handlers, and having a penchant for them over anything hp, i think the altima is quite decent for FWD.

the only criticism i can think off off the top is that the steering is far too over assisted and dead to the world in terms of communication.. i would feel much better pushing it in corners if i could feel whats happening with the road...

"super toe" does seem to work, and is impressive for a larger car... but its def. not the first FWD car to have this trait. it'll be interesting when i ever get around to driving the accord euro (tsx) to see how that compares.

over all, its a pretty decent drive IMO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Altima took corners fairly well. However, even with thousands of dollars worth of collecive suspension mods, it still felt very clumsy when I compared to a stock 87 Supra I picked up.

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
ill have to admit that the alti was good for the weaving factor. one of the better handling cars i have driven for its price range. ive taken swirvy roads with no problem...im def gonna miss that in the camaro

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
IMO, the major weakness of the altima has always been steering feel(feedback). When you can't feel what the tires are telling you, it becomes harder to control the car at the limits.

·
C's get degrees.
1,338 Posts
Well, I am still the fastest Alty driver in thw world when it comes to corners. (I know, ignorant statement - but nobody has ever come close to beating me, in fact nobody will even challenge me or come out to the racetrack with me) Anyway, the handling characteristics areen't too bad. Theu aren't great but they are very predicatable compared to most FWD. The understeer isn't too bad once you learn how to compensate for it. I ahve driven the Altima on many roadcourses including PIR (worlds fastest 1-mile oval - but only through turns 3 and 4 then into the infield), Arizona Motorsports Park, Firebird, etc;,. With 1/8th of toe out the car really wants to snap into corners without delay. I run on Falken Azenis which are as close as you can get to R-compounds and still run in street classes. I have driven many cars, Miata's to 350Z's, to... well.... Altimas and plenty of shifter karts. I have rode in soo many cars on the track it is amazing, everything from 1965 Lotus Elan's (2 of them actually), to Z06's to first gen track prepped M3's. Road racing is my passion and amazingly enough the Alty holds its own. I fear no corner, in fact I look forward to each and every one of them.

Oh - I still extend my offer - $100 to anyone that can beat me on a roadcourse in an Altima.

Check out my website below......

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Go drive the RX-8, it will make your altima feel like a tank in the corners. That altima handles well for a family car though, but its no sports car.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
^ I agree, stock, the Altima handles better then just about every car in it's class, but it's nothing compared to the Mazda 6.

·
C's get degrees.
1,338 Posts
You gotta come down here chief - If you want the $100 you gotta make the effort. Turbo or not, you dont scare me in the least kid. :cool:

You bring your Alty, I'll set up the track day - I'll even give you choice - PIR or Firebird (AMP is currently closed). If Auto-X is your thing - I'm down for that too. So YOU bring it, please.

·
OG
4,071 Posts
my 1st gen on Ground Controls, KYBs, Stillen Sway bar, strut bar, light 16's, 55 profile tires, polyurathane bushings and new links was the only way i could stay ahead of much faster cars ... in traffic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts