The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving autos all my life and i just recently bought a 5 speed car. =) Just got a general stick driving question thats all. How bad is it for the clutch if you shift from say 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th? just wondering.......I know its not the right way to drive if you're racing or whatever but sometimes i just get lazy and don't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd to fourth and ect. :D

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
Thats not bad on the clutch. Its only bad if you're so lazy that you are shifting to higher gears so early that your tranny is chattering because you're not going fast enough.

Demmy

·
Registered
160 Posts
it wont hurt , if like u start from 2nd then its harder 4 the car to go but like if your just driving around like after u shift from 1 @ 20 then u put it into 3rd and the car will be gaining speed at a slow pace but its gonna go really smooth . hope this helps

·
T-$ pennies bish
2,965 Posts
I used to shift like that all the time in my Grand Am and Celica that I used to own. I was bored at times and see if I could leave from 3rd gear in the Celica. That thing was easy to do that with. I also had a 4spd push button reverse Oldsmoble Omega can you say OMG! That was a big pos but it was the easiest stick to drive!

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
i refuse to own an auto, even if i have to drive in traffic. they dont shift quick enough, theyre gas mileage isnt as good as a stick, and the tranny is more complex and more expensive to fix if it breaks...plus ive driven 5 speeds since i started, and im not about to quit. plus, even if you dont like manuals you should learn how to drive one...then if you ever need to you could.

theres just no better feeling then being able to spin your tires (it can be done in an auto Alty, but probably is a PAIN!!) or take off quickly at a red light to beat the other traffic to the merging point when the road goes to one lane.
anyway, enough rambling...

Monki

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gmo said:
Whats the point of getting a stick?

Should of just keept the auto.

HAHAH. The point is, I have my auto Altima for work and commute and my Prelude for spirited driving. ;) It gets pretty boring doing gas and brake and gas and brake....
Yeah and how old are you?

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soc_monki said:
i refuse to own an auto, even if i have to drive in traffic. they dont shift quick enough, theyre gas mileage isnt as good as a stick, and the tranny is more complex and more expensive to fix if it breaks...plus ive driven 5 speeds since i started, and im not about to quit. plus, even if you dont like manuals you should learn how to drive one...then if you ever need to you could.

theres just no better feeling then being able to spin your tires (it can be done in an auto Alty, but probably is a PAIN!!) or take off quickly at a red light to beat the other traffic to the merging point when the road goes to one lane.
anyway, enough rambling...

Monki
I know what you mean man, especially dropping gears and feeling your neck snap back from the acceleration makes me want to fully convert to driving stick...but the damn traffic....must have auto commuter car.....

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
I agree. I love getting into my truck and just driving sometimes. Traffic is a big thing.

·
te mete una chinga
224 Posts
Michael said:

HAHAH. The point is, I have my auto Altima for work and commute and my Prelude for spirited driving. ;) It gets pretty boring doing gas and brake and gas and brake....
Yeah and how old are you?

Eat a dick up, till you hick up!

How can you have fun skiping gears?

·
Just a Drummer!!
419 Posts
I drive my stick with a well lubed right hand.:p

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
Michael said:
I've been driving autos all my life and i just recently bought a 5 speed car. =) Just got a general stick driving question thats all. How bad is it for the clutch if you shift from say 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th? just wondering.......I know its not the right way to drive if you're racing or whatever but sometimes i just get lazy and don't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd to fourth and ect. :D
HARD AND DEEP......:D

nothing wrong with skip shifting, just dont run it too long near read line and dont under power it, you should be fine, just something to get use to it, and that has more to do witht he engine and tranny than the clutch.

only thing about the clutch is dont ride it, try not to step on it more than you have to, that leads to quicker and unnecessary wear

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gmo said:

Eat a dick up, till you hick up!

How can you have fun skiping gears?
If you were smart enough or had enough common sense to read my original post you would've known what the original intent of my question was. :rolleyes:
Or maybe when i replied to Monk's post where i stated that ONE aspect of driving stick that i like is to drop gears you would've also found the answer. Go back to riding your tricycle.

·
te mete una chinga
224 Posts
Michael said:

If you were smart enough or had enough common sense to read my original post you would've known what the original intent of my question was. :rolleyes:
Or maybe when i replied to Monk's post where i stated that ONE aspect of driving stick that i like is to drop gears you would've also found the answer. Go back to riding your tricycle.
Go back to riding this dick!

If you were smart enough you wouldnt be asking the fu**n question.

Your asking how old I am? Old enough to know skiping gears puts more stress on the engine than on the clutch. How does this thread go "How do you drive stick?'':rolleyes: Lazy people like you shouldnt own a 5 speed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts