The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Compare to all other mid-size cars, seems like nissan is losing a lot of money :(. Almost 6k less then MSRP.:crying

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts

Compare to all other mid-size cars, seems like nissan is losing a lot of money :(. Almost 6k less then MSRP.:crying
This is a marketing ploy by the dealer. They may have as many as 2 at that price but the idea is to get folks into the closing booth and sell them more expensive one. If there really are two at that price they will be sold by the time most folks get to the dealer. Even if they lose money on those 2 they make it up on profit from selling a lot of other cars to the suckers that show up looking for those 2. Simple bait and switch like almost all other advertising for all products.

Also, the NMAC Cash means you are letting them finance the car and make all the interest on the loan. Gonna make a bunch on that.

By the way the photo is not correct, it shows the 18" wheels meaning it's a 3.5 and looks like a SV or SL. :wink More creative marketing.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

This is classic "bait and switch" -- something that car dealers have been doing with their 'specials' for decades. They will happily sell you a car at that low price (if they are not able to switch you to a higher trim level that costs thousands more).........but they're going to gouge you on your trade, upsell you on extended warranties, pinstripes, undercoating, fabric protectant, "processing fees" and other add-ons.

You buy one car every several years and they sell several cars every day. The HOUSE always wins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
also keep in mind you probably wont qualify for all incentives. or itll be one or the other. for example, if you take the rebate then you can get the cash incentives or of you take say the 750 then you go from the best interest rate to a secondary table where the rate is higher and you have to go through the dealer financing to get the incentive.
this ad isnt as bad as some that will include the lease cash back and the finance cash back which you can NEVER take both as its one or the other.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd always take any kind of rebate, cash incentive, etc. over a good finance rate from them. Take their crappy finance rate and refinance with a local credit union...I did that with mine, I believe you just have to wait 90 days from the day you bought the car to refinance so there's no penalties.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Usually cash deal also. I got my base model less then that here in Canada of all places but here in Canada we pay a crazy freight charge. Only thing is I had to take a base since that was the only model discounted by a lot. It was also hard to find. Waited 3 weeks for it. Didn't want the base but I'll slowly add to it.

I assume they advertised the lower end model which they don't have a lot of and then try to get you into a higher end model.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
This is a marketing ploy by the dealer. They may have as many as 2 at that price but the idea is to get folks into the closing booth and sell them more expensive one. If there really are two at that price they will be sold by the time most folks get to the dealer. Even if they lose money on those 2 they make it up on profit from selling a lot of other cars to the suckers that show up looking for those 2. Simple bait and switch like almost all other advertising for all products.

Also, the NMAC Cash means you are letting them finance the car and make all the interest on the loan. Gonna make a bunch on that.

By the way the photo is not correct, it shows the 18" wheels meaning it's a 3.5 and looks like a SV or SL. :wink More creative marketing.

This is classic "bait and switch" -- something that car dealers have been doing with their 'specials' for decades. They will happily sell you a car at that low price (if they are not able to switch you to a higher trim level that costs thousands more).........but they're going to gouge you on your trade, upsell you on extended warranties, pinstripes, undercoating, fabric protectant, "processing fees" and other add-ons.

You buy one car every several years and they sell several cars every day. The HOUSE always wins.

BINGO!

There is a dealership here in central Florida ''Reed Nissan"
Online they have 2015 Altima's for 14.5-$15,000!!!

When my brother in law saw the price, he was set on buying an Altima.
So he printed the pricing out, went to the dealership...
And they refused to honor the price LOL.

He told me after taxes and everything the price was like $22,000

Nothing but a bunch of crooks!

New Nissan Altima for Sale - Reed Nissan
''
MSRP:
$23,335
Discount:
$8,750
ePrice:
$14,585 ''

New Vehicle Specials - Reed Nissan

·
altima s se
1 Posts
BINGO!

There is a dealership here in central Florida ''Reed Nissan"
Online they have 2015 Altima's for 14.5-$15,000!!!

When my brother in law saw the price, he was set on buying an Altima.
So he printed the pricing out, went to the dealership...
And they refused to honor the price LOL.

He told me after taxes and everything the price was like $22,000

Nothing but a bunch of crooks!

New Nissan Altima for Sale - Reed Nissan
''
MSRP:
$23,335
Discount:
$8,750
ePrice:
$14,585 ''

New Vehicle Specials - Reed Nissan
I recommend jenkins nissan in lakeland. Got a great deal and a fair trade in value.

·
Tyler TT
17 Posts
I got my 2015 Altima S for $17,5xx out the door after tax tag title. Had 22 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. Ferman Nissan in Tampa.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought a Toyota Hi-Lux on one of these deals years ago. The dealer described it as a "loss leader". They had a certain portion of their advertising budget that they used to "buy down" the price on those VINs that are listed in the ad. The price is only good for those VINs, and yes, it is intended to generate traffic and up-sell the customer, or at least screw them on their trade.
It was quite a chore to buy the truck. First I had to be there before the 1 or 2 in the ad were sold. Then I had to have a salesperson get their hands on the keys (some salesmen will hoard/hide the keys of the loss leaders) Then I had to haggle over the trade. They tried to really screw me on the trade and pissed me off. I finally had to tell them that I was going to keep my trade, pay cash for the truck, and take away their one shot at making a profit on the deal. They had taken my trade to be "checked out", I asked them to bring it back out front so I could drive both vehicles home. At that point they started to panic, apparently the owner of the dealership saw my trade-in, wanted it for his daughter and had driven it to his house to show her :-|. After that they suddenly became very generous on the trade offer and claimed it was related to some live auction process and another dealer had bid high on the car (I was originally willing to take $4100 on the trade and they ended up giving me $5500 to get me to stop being pissed off about their low-balling :) ) As we were writing the contract, one of the other salesman swiped the keys from my salesman claiming he had to move the truck to a different parking spot. After we finished the paperwork. They could not find the truck! They spent most of an hour searching for the truck and finally sent my wife and I across the street to get lunch, on them, while they continued to search for the truck. At this point, my trade is gone, I have paperwork that says I own the truck which appears that it could have been stolen. As I ate my lunch, I was contemplating calling the police when I saw the truck pull up in the parking lot of the restaurant. A slime-ball salesman climbed out of the truck, took a package out of the back, and loaded it into his personal car. He had taken it to "run an errand" apparently hoping to kill our deal and save the loss leaders for a customer he had coming in later. Needless to say we never returned to that dealer, but because I got the truck for so cheap, I sold it two years later for more than I paid for it new :-D The loss leaders always seem to be base model vehicles and my wife and I no longer shop for base models, so we never even look at those ads anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As others have posted, it's a 'bait & switch' game that many auto dealerships do... lure customers in with advertised low priced models, but only a very small number is available for purchase (i.e. 1-2 models, generally 'Base' trim). They then try to up-sell you more costly versions of the same or other models.

Also...
1. Nissan tends to give out credits/rebates so it relies on mass volume sales. Better to sell more vehicles at slightly less profit but sell more of them. Typical business sales tactic, regardless of the type of business.

2. Auto financing... Nissan will want you to finance with it so, IF the buyer qualifies for its auto loan program, Nissan will try to get you one of its loans directly through Nissan or one of its partners (i.e. affiliated banks/credit unions). Either way, Nissan will make money from that loan.

Lastly, there are possibly 'honest' auto dealerships (an oxymoron!) that will sell models at a relatively 'decent' price to customers.
Sometimes, the sales agent is nice but you have to haggle with the sales manager then deal with the finance manager who'll try to up-sell more options.

Just do your research and get an decent idea of the price YOU WANT to pay and go test drive a vehicle.
You may get lucky and find/buy a vehicle that you like near the price that you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I highly recommend TrueCar.com. Print out a sheet with the specs you want. You'll get a fair bit of annoying sales calls for a bit since you have to give your contact info, but both times I've used it (Nissan and VW) the dealer honored the price which is as good as a deal you can get there, and it makes the whole process at the dealer faster and less stressful.

·
Registered
318 Posts
LOL right! Sunroof, 18" wheels, fog lights.. ha
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Pretty crummy of them to make an ad like that.

I bought my 2013 for $17,700 + TT&L. It was advertised at $18k and I talked them down a few hundred bucks. Courtesy Nissan in Richardson. No deceptive sales techniques.

But most of the posts above are correct that they're trying to get you into the dealership and then upsell you on another model, expensive financing, aftermarket warranties, etc. Dealerships make very little of their money on the sale price of a new car. They make it on service and dealer add-ons.

As far as Nissan is concerned (the OP's original question), they don't care if they sell a car to a dealership for $17,500 and the dealership sells it for $17,700 or $21,000. They're just happy to sell another car. It's the dealership that's providing those discounts. But the Altima is just less expensive than most of it's competitors honestly (namely the Accord). Even though comparable Accords & Altimas might have an MSRP within $1k-$2k, the price difference between what you should actually be paying is going to be closer to $5k. And that's the main reason I bought my Altima.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my 2015 Altima 2.5S special edition for 18,300 which was the advertised price. This particular dealer had ALL altimas advertised up to $7,000 off MSRP and they had a HUGE selection. It may be true that a lot of dealers will advertise like this for bait and switch but not in my case. Also I got 0% financing through NMAC so it's also not always true they will make up for the low price through financing rate.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dealerships suck. They have a bunch of overhead to pay for, and they only do that by ripping you off on sales, service, or both. Skip it all and buy lightly used cars through private sale, and get service done wherever you want. It's much cheaper, and you don't have to play any games.

The car dealer business model is old and overdue for a major change. Tesla gets it...I hope others do as well in the near future.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my base model for a good deal. About 7k off the sticker and that decent here in Canada. However, I'm now kinda thinking I will end up paying for it in the long run.

We already know about the CVT issues and honestly its not the smoothest transmission I have driven. Plus I have already had my plastic panels stained by cheap tire dressing. Dealer took care of that for me though. Now I have realized the paint on my car doesn't match every panel, and its factory paint: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2013-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/465041-pear-white-variance-painted-swapped.html

I have only had it for 3 months but still like it. Not sure if it was a great deal anymore.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Dealerships suck. They have a bunch of overhead to pay for, and they only do that by ripping you off on sales, service, or both. Skip it all and buy lightly used cars through private sale, and get service done wherever you want. It's much cheaper, and you don't have to play any games.

The car dealer business model is old and overdue for a major change. Tesla gets it...I hope others do as well in the near future.
The only disruption I've seen in the auto industry is CarMAX. I love the way they do business. Would be interesting if they could get new cars with a factory warranty and be a "dealer" for all brands.

The advantage of having dealers is choice and competition. For example there are Nissan dealers I don't like but in my area there are plenty so if I need service I can just go to another one. If Nissan owned all the dealers I wouldn't really have a choice. They could also price fix on service and that would not be good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts