1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
^actually, phantom grip is one of the best to get... but anyway.

a limited slip differential changes the power to and from wheel to wheel. generally when you're driving; like ice for a situation, one wheel slips on the ice. traction is shifted to the wheel that's slipping with positraction. but with a LSD, power is shifted from the slipping wheel to the wheel(s) that have traction.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
correction, limited slip and positraction are the SAME thing. posi is the name brand ford uses for limited slip. an open differential will transmit power to the wheel that is slipping. its done that way for turning, driveability and economy. a posi or lsd will try to keep the wheels spinning at the same rate ALL the time EXCEPT for turns where it will let the outside wheel spin faster.

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
i think the phantom grip only locks the differential in place after you remove the retainer clips on it. Thus both wheel will get the power since the differential is locked for both wheels. Heard it works well...but heard they also shatter into pieces on high powered cars. Shouldn't be a problem for the altima though :p But i dont think they make on for us :(

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
cheap because phantom grip sucks.
I have to disagree on this one. My buddy has one on his Integra and that shit is bad-ass. It's a LS turbo with most of his internals built, pistons, rods etc......

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
If you do get a LSD whether be it Phantom grip, Quaife or whatever, be prepared to break some axles!!! Luckily nissans axles are stronger than the honda axles.:cool:

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
Phantom Grip is willing to custom make one for $350, but you got to lend them your tranny.

An LSD is a general term. A Posi tract is a definitive item. Because there are several types of LSD, including the Posi Tract. Quafie units are Torsen units, they're on 24/7. And then There's Clutch LSD that uses miniature tunable clutches to set the engagement. And then the Viscous LSD, the one that most manufacturer would include as standard or an option.

Then their action is divided into several types as well, 1 way, 1.5 way, and 2 way. The best of course being the 2 way unit as they provide grip both on throttle and off throttle.

They all work in different manners, but they all need to be rebuild eventually (let's say some 15yrs life span (average) if not abused)

Now, about the clunking noise, are you sure you're not mistaking it for a Detroit Lockers AKA solid spool?

On the matter of Honda axles, they are puny. even my 16yrs old 1.6l NA MR-2 got thicker axles compared to the newer civic 1.6l

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
ASHURA said:
Now, about the clunking noise, are you sure you're not mistaking it for a Detroit Lockers AKA solid spool?
spools and detroits are two different monsters as well. detroits are gear driven lockers. it unlocks for turning and locks with a 1/4 inch of twist on one side. a spool has no movement whatsoever and you have positive engagement NO MATTER WHAT. big price difference too, 350-750 for a detroit vs 90 for a spool.

·
Registered
658 Posts
asleepaltima said:
posi is the name brand ford uses for limited slip.
posi isnt exclusively used by fords. chevy used posi decades ago along with many others. its just a spring clutch in between the spider gears and end gears of the shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts