The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my stillen strut bar. Do I have to jack up the car to install it, or I can just do it with the car parked? I know it's not that hard to install but I checked the tips section on this site and was'nt too sure if I had to jack up the car or not. Any help?

·
8,809 Posts
Its cake, just unbolt the bolts holding the struts and put it on then put the bolts back.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Takes like 5 minutes.Leave the car on the ground take off those 3 nuts place the strut bar on put the nuts back on finished.I just put mine on and it makes a BIG difference

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only time you would need to jack the car is if you're installing a sway bar. The part in question is a tower bar. . .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strut bar

I thought that I had to jack up the car because I would be removing the bolts that hold the struts in place. I know it sounds stupid but I wanted to just make sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's all good. As long as you're on a level surface you will have no troubles at all because the struts are in a neutral position when the car is level.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Remember the torque specs on those bolts 29 to 40 foot lbs. Those bolts are marked during factory installs to make sure they're tightened correctly.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I ordered one from Dave B today, what does it matter what lbs it is as long as it is snug and not torqued all the way down?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
GPS said:
I ordered one from Dave B today, what does it matter what lbs it is as long as it is snug and not torqued all the way down?
Those bolts take care of the top of whole strut assembly. They should be tightened correctly.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
AMCP said:
Why are people getting this bar, I thought the Altima chassis was pretty stiff?
1. dress up
2. stiffen a bit
3. you want stiff other than stb, stich weld the chassis.

#2 is only useful if you change to higher rate dampener/spring setup where the setup's so stiff that it'd force the chassis to flex.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Actually you do need to lift the car up to stretch the bar out as far as possible. That way when you lower the car to the ground the has no flex in it and the chassis stays stiff. There was another tread posted on this somewhere.If it's not installed properly it's just a useless weight.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
jaltima said:
Actually you do need to lift the car up to stretch the bar out as far as possible. That way when you lower the car to the ground the has no flex in it and the chassis stays stiff. There was another tread posted on this somewhere.If it's not installed properly it's just a useless weight.
The bar stretches? Really? By how much?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts