The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most definitely getting a dunk... but i'm scared!

i don't want it to be too loud... i have an auto, so i know that since the computer keeps it at the lower rpm's, it won't be as loud as a stick... but how loud is it?

am i gonna be as loud as those civics i battle in traffic everyday? will it be a low tone?

please only rate this muffler as this is the one i have a deal on...

THANX in advance!! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Altimuh. I had this muffler before I crashed my car. Let me tell you this was my absolute favorite part of my car. The sound was tight as hell. It sounded nice while inside but I really did not realize how much I liked it till I got my buddy to give my car a couple rips up and down my street at full thottle. It sounded INSANE. I just kept gettin him to go up and down my street so I could hear the beautiful howl it let loose. Oh yea I had an auto too. Plus the thing looks bad ass. Good fuckin choice. When ever I see a DUNK I want my ride back.

RIP
95 Altima GXE
Mods: GC's, KYB's, 17 inch BSA Rims, Apexi DUNK
July 1/01

·
dismember
9,326 Posts
i donno, on lower rpm, my muffle makes more sound (that low bassy sound) than i can hear @ higher rpm.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx... i trust that this is an awesome muffler.... no question...

but how loud is it?

chia.. your saying it's louder when it's idling, then at WOT?

thanx!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
In general APEX mufflers are LOUD. If you like that low deep rumble, then get one. You won't sound like the swarm of bee Civic's. But they are loud... ;)

·
dismember
9,326 Posts
altimuh said:
chia.. your saying it's louder when it's idling, then at WOT?
thanx!
nope, i am sayin its louder @ wot at 2k ish rpm then near the redline. it could just be the intake drownin out the muffler noise

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok... i'm not AS scared... but will puttin this on, make me a cop magnet?

i have a 3" tip (i know - ghetto) on right now...

is this gonna be a big attention getter? i know the stillen one looks almost exactly like the one i have now.. (that's why i got the tip i did) so it doesn't stand out much...

thanx

·
Registered
41 Posts
err.... this muffler sounsd BAD FRIGGIN ASS!!!!!!! but do i need to get the universal one??!?!!? or is there one designed for the altima (i got a 97)

·
Registered
41 Posts
ya, thats what i though. how much it cost to install one of these? cuz i found one for like 150 bucks.....

good price?
its brand new

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i guess.. i'm not sure... i'm gettin mine from a friend...

installation... u could do a search... alot people get custom catback mandrel bent piping at the same time... not sure on $$$.. but if ur into performance.. u might wanna get the piping done at the same time...

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
if you are just going to put the dunk on and not get the cat-back piping you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The resonator will take care of most the noise. If you get the cat back piping sure the noise will definitely increase but it isnt a raspy loud sound and at idle or cruising speed it is just a nice low hum. trust me, there are much louder than the dunk, i would reccomend it. especially if you can get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hidaltima said:
if you are just going to put the dunk on and not get the cat-back piping you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The resonator will take care of most the noise. If you get the cat back piping sure the noise will definitely increase but it isnt a raspy loud sound and at idle or cruising speed it is just a nice low hum. trust me, there are much louder than the dunk, i would reccomend it. especially if you can get a good deal on it.
THANKYOU!!!!! that's exactly what i wanted to know!!! :D

now i'm not scared!!! just the size is intimidating now... but o well

·
Registered
41 Posts
so, if i left my stock piping and just added the muffler to my stock 97 gxe it wouldent do much (sorry im new to this)?
would it change noise or add horse power?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it should make the tone DEFINITELY deeper

and it shoulf free up the breathing of the engine = more hp if you have other mods

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh ok cool, so geting it wouldent be a waste of money by any means? it would make it sound allot deeper and add horse power if i get something like a new intake etc?

how much does taht cat back pipeing cost?

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Jubie said:
oh ok cool, so geting it wouldent be a waste of money by any means? it would make it sound allot deeper and add horse power if i get something like a new intake etc?

how much does taht cat back pipeing cost?
without the piping i would say a 1 to 2 hp increase, if that. with the piping maybe 4 or 5. the sound will be deeper and it won't be too loud. You could always opt for piping after the resonator which would be a little of both worlds, as far as quietness and performance. and yes the intake will help but if you are looking for performance, you would definitely want the cat back piping, an intake, a header, and a high flow cat. that would complete the aspiration side of the performance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts