The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I got to the last mark on the fuel gauge. Car still seem to run fine.

I heard that the fuel pump uses the gasoline inside the tank as cooling.
And theory goes if you go too low on fuel...you overheat the pump...causing damage to the pump. Myth or fiction?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Fact based on what you just stated. Yes, the fuel is a cooling agent and continually running it too low could potentially shorten the life of the pump.

However in my '93, in the 15 years I've had the Altima nearly every tank full I ran it down either to the 'E' mark, or past, into activating the fuel light and only replaced the pump once I believe in 348,000 miles.

As they say, YMMV lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fact based on what you just stated. Yes, the fuel is a cooling agent and continually running it too low could potentially shorten the life of the pump.

However in my '93, in the 15 years I've had the Altima nearly every tank full I ran it down either to the 'E' mark, or past, into activating the fuel light and only replaced the pump once I believe in 348,000 miles.

As they say, YMMV lol
Perhaps, Nissan fuel pumps are just very high quality...can take abuse and keeps on working.

Mine is 210,000 miles now. Still going strong. Was going to give it away...but think may keep it as daily commuter until 300,000. LoL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think they were overbuilt in some ways...I remember correctly they sharded the auto tranny or at least parts of it with the Maxima and I beat on my auto every day until I decided to replace it around 260,000 miles with a shorter geared auto just for kicks. Cooling system is awesome, engine is very tough, just a very bulletproof car for the most part if taken care of. Too bad Nissan was too conservative to give the engine a little more refinement or at least VTC.

I rarely drive the car now (wife still drives it daily) but I took it for a spin after troubleshooting a fuel smell and rolling onto a rising elevation interstate on ramp from nearly a dead stop I was a little shocked that I was nearly at 90mph merging and had to hit the brakes lol

Wish I'd have run the JWT ecu upgrade and cams but not with an auto and moving on to a V6 Mazda as soon as I can find one close enough

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
Hope this helps. I ran out of gas in my '97 once.

Two lessons:
1. didn't have any fuel pump damage, but only went empty once.
2. the gauge shows half-way between the 1/4 mark and the Empty mark = you have exactly 5 gallons left.
I know because AAA brought me 5 gallons gas when I was empty and in couple minutes the gauge showed this level...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes. An orange-yellowish colored icon on the dash IIRC. I don't drive the car often but took it there on many occasions, perhaps the color was soothing lol.

That is commendable and yet a little sad if you haven't met your low fuel light yet (kidding)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts