The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
de-moderator
2,134 Posts
if you really want one thers better and safer IMO ones out. I saw one at an autoparts store like $3 and it had a cap you screwed over the end to stop dust/dirt/faulty valve (and it was like 1/4 inch longer than the head of the bolt thats already in the pan) so you dont have this big ass thing sticking outta your oil pan. The inside had a pin that was pressed, releasing the oil once, and only once you screwed on the hose that comes w/ it. IMO the one you posted would be pretty dangerous... what happens if the "safety" came off... then all your oil just pours outta your pan. That'd be pretty interesting.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
Nah... I'd go with the Fram SureDrain instead - if anything.

Actually, I just changed my '99's oil today for the first time since I bought it last November. The oilpan drain is a piece of cake to get to, but the dang filter is a PITA! Are there any tricks you guys use to avoid having oil run down all over the starter - and your arm - when removing the filter? What a mess...

Thanks,

·
Registered
494 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Are there any tricks you guys use to avoid having oil run down all over the starter - and your arm - when removing the filter? What a mess...

Thanks,
Well, I usually make sure to tilt the filter right side up as soon as it screws off, that tends to minimize leakage.

·
1,484 Posts
I don't think there is a way around that problem, just tilt the filter up, and wipe off the arm and rack and pinion with a rag. That's what I do everytime.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
saw something in the newest jcwhitney catalog that you just stick down in the dipstick hole and it sucks out the oil, then you just fill your car back up, sounded like bullshit to me

but who knows until its tried............

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
That JC Whitney thing sounds like a waste of time. Draining the oil from the pan is EASY. It's the filter that is a pain. Maybe a filter relocation kit would be the way to go. A friend of mine had one on his Mustang. He had moved the battery to the trunk and had relocated the oil filter up under the hood in its place - mounted vertically - so you could remove it without spilling a drop. Sure would be nice if they'd do that from the factory, but I guess they don't want to make it TOO easy. They'd much rather you pay the dealership to do it for you. Sorry, not me!

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Nah... I'd go with the Fram SureDrain instead - if anything.

Actually, I just changed my '99's oil today for the first time since I bought it last November. The oilpan drain is a piece of cake to get to, but the dang filter is a PITA! Are there any tricks you guys use to avoid having oil run down all over the starter - and your arm - when removing the filter? What a mess...

Thanks,
get a shop paper towel or something like that. wrap the towel around anything directly beneath the filter (trial and error will be your friend as I'm not going under my car now to see snap a picture). The ends that hang, twist to make a point.

SLOWLY twist the filter. Twist, then let it drain, twist, let it drain some more, etc.... This way the oil, SHOULD hit the paper towel, follow the fibers to the point you made, then drip off into the container.

Works very well for me, not much mess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts