The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have a set of four OEM 17"(6 spoke)wheels from a 2004 3.5SE. Does anyone know how much each wheel weighs??

I've purchased the new nismo 18"x8.5" wheels, and looking for a good tire( light). Probably go with a set of 245x40x18' Michelin PS2's

I'm interested in calculating the unsprung weight savings over my current setup.

Has anyone actually weighed their OEM wheel? I called a couple Nissan parts dealers and they are no help.

Thx.

Manibal

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grimm_Reaper38 said:
same here... they arent that light.. If u are gonna go with lightweight wheels theres better choices than the stockers..

A dealer quoted me 25-28lbs for the OEM rim.

Nismo rims are 18x8.5 @17.6lbs each - nice.

What other light weight wheel options are you suggesting?

·
HIDaholic
3,845 Posts
Perhaps thats why the car almost feels like it is almost being held back when its accelerating, almost like its dragging something heavy on the ground behind it. You can feel the power there but feel that it should be able to pick up and go even quicker than it does...if you understand what I'm saying. Or maybe its just the sucky ass stock suspension.

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
well, I just ordered the SSR competition wheels and some avon tires. 18x7.5. They are 15.4 pounds a piece. That will probably drop the car weight by about 40-50 lbs. That'll give er some more get up and go.

·
Is That a Speed Trap?
668 Posts
Just take the rim to a shipping store like Mail Boxes Etc or the UPS store and put it on their scale. Pretend you're shipping it to wherever. They'll tell you what weight the rim has. I'm curious to know myself.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foglght said:
well, I just ordered the SSR competition wheels and some avon tires. 18x7.5. They are 15.4 pounds a piece. That will probably drop the car weight by about 40-50 lbs. That'll give er some more get up and go.
How much did you pay for those ssr rims? I priced those out at tirerack - $459 each.

I got my brand new Nismo Altima rims(18x8.5 w/45mm offset) on ebay for $1281 which included shipping?

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DPGC420 said:
get some Ray's Engineering Gram Lights....they offer many different designs and are very light and durable.

Is that what you have in your picture? How light are they?

·
Registered
366 Posts
No.....mine are made by Ray's Engineering but they aren't Gram Lights. The Gram Light 57F Pro's that I wanted are no longer available in the states....so I went with Ray's G-Games instead (still pretty light for 19's....they weigh a little less than the stock 17's, plus they look almost the exact same as 57F Pro's). Here's a link:

http://www.mackinindustries.com/rays_gramlights.html

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Yes Rays and hurry up the dollar is dropping fast. The Nismo wheels are basically just rebadged Gram Lights. I'd get those or something somebody has in stock since the prices probably won't go up as fast.

Also a lighter wheel may not necessarily be faster because all the weight is concentrated closer to its outside diameter. So the stock wheel tire combo at maybe 53 lbs. may accelerate exactly as fast as some lighter low-profile wheels/tires at 50 lbs. because the center of rotational mass on the wider, lower profile wheel/tire is located farther from the axis of rotation.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Ok... I read the above statement and am still not quite gettin it... can I get a little more clarification... cause Im about to buy those 15 lb 17s with drag radials on them and I wanna make DAMN SURE they will be faster than my stockers...

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Oh they will be don't worry. Expecially if they're even a little smaller in diameter. 15 lbs. wheels will be a huge difference. If the wheels are only a little lighter, but the tires are much wider and low profile the difference might come close to canceling out. If you go larger in diameter too you're hurting your acceleration. Most of the mass in the tire is in the tread, and the tread is right at the maximum diameter of the tire.

Think of your old toy gyro with the string you pulled to accelerate it. The reason it spins so long is because it has all its mass concentrated on the outside. Or a figure skater - they have a fixed amount of energy and mass when they start twirling but when they pull their arms and legs in they spin faster. I think thats the same basic concept but unfortunately I'm not a physicist.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
lets see the 19s are 255s at 27" tall, the 17s are 245s and 25.3" tall... so yea they are quite a bit shorter and little lesss wide... I was kinda going for the tall 19s and short DR wheels and tires... well I dunno how the weight is concentrated on the racing wheels, but I get what u are saying now... Its better for the weight to be concentrated in the center.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts