The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I modded my grill and air box like JerryJ did before his Injen cai install (see his pics) to increase the air flow. So far I have left the resonators in place, but I did replace the air filter with a new Holley Power Shot high flow filter. They claim it outflows K&N, and uses an oil that is more refined thus MAF/intake sensors safe(http://www.competitionplus.com/06_19_2002/air_filters.html).
With these mods, how much hp do you think I gained (if any)?

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know a few of you had this same set-up for a little while. Any dyno or 1/4 mile runs after this mod? To me, it seems to pull a little harder and even with the resonators still in place it is louder.

·
18" SHOES
308 Posts
Maybe 2 ponies....maybe.

·
Domestic Attitude
232 Posts
I also agree with k-live, it's your imagination that makes it feel like it pulls harder. Happens all the time when people do mods cause your kinda looking for it to feel faster you know. You might have gotten 5 horses but You would NEVER see that in the quarter mile!

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LT1Thunder said:
I also agree with k-live, it's your imagination that makes it feel like it pulls harder. Happens all the time when people do mods cause your kinda looking for it to feel faster you know. You might have gotten 5 horses but You would NEVER see that in the quarter mile!
Not true. With a 5hp gain, you would definintely see a improvement in the quarter mile. Granted it wouldn't be much, but at least a tenth of a second and maybe another 1/2 mph.
BTW, I'll take my "scary" Altima over a piece of junk chevy anyday.:vomit:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Last year, one of the members did the free WAI. This completely removes the front air intake dam that rests on top of the radiator. With no other change, he reported an increase of 7 horsepower and 6 pounds/feet of torque on the dyno.

Don't recall his name, but some time searching might turn it up.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
i really hope my GF lets me mod her 2.5 a little...its nice and all, i love it, except for it being automatic, but seeing that restrictive intake just KILLS me. my 99 wasnt even that restrictive!!! i know a gained a little with i put my WAI on (and not just noise) but i bet her 2.5 would gain a lot more with a nice intake on it.

Monki

·
18" SHOES
308 Posts
pvick said:
Last year, one of the members did the free WAI. This completely removes the front air intake dam that rests on top of the radiator. With no other change, he reported an increase of 7 horsepower and 6 pounds/feet of torque on the dyno.

Don't recall his name, but some time searching might turn it up.

PVICK,
I just put a pop-charger filter on last week, and before that I had did the free air intake. Now I don't know who made the post about getting 7 horsepower, but it seems unrealistic to me for two reasons. One cause when I did it I lost a lot of low end horsepower. It was louder but that was all. No power increase. When I switched to the pop charger I could feel a huge difference. The sound wasn't as loud but was still deeper than stock. Two aftermarket CAI aren't giving a 7 hp increase so I question the accuracy of that test.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
I also saw the post about someone gaining 7 hp with the free WAI. He had dyno charts to back it up. I think it was Ratwayne who did it. I really don't doubt that the 2.5 doesn't gain much from the mod, but the 3.5 sure does. It is like a sprinter trying to run the 100 meter dash while breathing through a snorkle.

·
18" SHOES
308 Posts
BrandonS said:
I also saw the post about someone gaining 7 hp with the free WAI. He had dyno charts to back it up. I think it was Ratwayne who did it. I really don't doubt that the 2.5 doesn't gain much from the mod, but the 3.5 sure does. It is like a sprinter trying to run the 100 meter dash while breathing through a snorkle.

Why do you 3.5's always have to bring size up. My girl told me size didn't matter. LOL :sex:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Size ALWAYS matters.

At least in engine displacement.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To k-live;

"I just put a pop-charger filter on last week, and before that I had did the free air intake. Now I don't know who made the post about getting 7 horsepower, but it seems unrealistic to me for two reasons. One cause when I did it I lost a lot of low end horsepower. It was louder but that was all. No power increase. When I switched to the pop charger I could feel a huge difference. The sound wasn't as loud but was still deeper than stock. Two aftermarket CAI aren't giving a 7 hp increase so I question the accuracy of that test."

As BrandonS pointed out, the individual we are talking about posted his dyno results, and I also recall this. Now if you're hearing less sound with your popcharger than with the free WAI, you got cheated. Popchargers are a waste. If you're going to spend the money for a popcharger, you might as well get a complete, good WAI or CAI unit. And believe me, my Frankencar/Apexi is a HELL of a lot louder than the free WAI. At 4000 RPM, the sound is EVERYWHERE.

Also, if "Two aftermarket CAI aren't giving a 7 hp increase" is true, don't buy them. The highest number I have seen claimed for the Frankencar/Apexi intake is 18 HP on the Maxima website. I think that is pushing it a bit.. I would question these numbers. I suspect 11-14 or maybe 15 is probably right in there.

I will say this. After I went through the break-in process and nailed it for the first time, I was disappointed. The power came on in a seemless and smooth manner. Not at all like I had hoped for. No sudden and strong power hits. Then I did the free WAI and recorded a difference in a 40-70 run in third gear of 6/10ths of a second. The Stillen exhaust came next and I was hard pressed to tell any difference in performance with this install. But the sound is really great.

Then came the Frankencar/Apexi and Oh My God! The engine woke up!! More of everything. More horsepower, more torque and even in the low and mid-range where you might think you'd loose it.

A good intake is the way to go with this engine.

·
18" SHOES
308 Posts
pvick,

The reason I quoted the numbers that I did was because I've been reading through sport compact mag. power pages for like 2 years and when they dyno the cars in there the numbers are USUALLY like 6hp for a CAI, like 2-4hp for a cat-back exhaust, about 6hp for a header. Now a lot of the cars they are testing are smaller than 2.0L, but 18hp at the wheels just seems a bit much. Hell I saw one article on a GSR w/ all the upgrades above and that guy only got like a 14hp diff. But then too the 3.5 is twice the size so who knows. Let's call the whole thing off.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Pvick, the reason the Frankencar seemed to make a big difference is the compound effect, you freed up the exhaust and needed a good intake, having seen many conical filters dynoed on the end of a cold air intake I can tell you there is minimal difference between k&N, Apexi, Foam element, etc.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To Dallas;

Yeah, the closest in performance to the Apexi, in terms of horsepower gained, that I've seen is the K&N. It's 1 horsepower under the Apexi. This is when new. As the K&N gets a little mileage on it, it will fall off in performance more than the Apexi because, being oil-wetted, it tends to have debris adhere to it.

The biggest benefit of the Frankencar intake is the midpipe which affords a nice, straight and smooth path to the throttle body and it with the Apexi, a slightly higher volume of air is moved.

Yes, whenever you free up your exhaust, you should free up your intake.. unless you want to keep the increased feel of torque at in the lower ranges while loosing performance in the higher range.

When I did my install, I knew I would receive a little increase, but I was quite surprised at the actual increase. What I had known all along proved itself. As these engines (the V6) are installed in this car, they are starved for breathing. So a good intake really gets noticed because the benefit is quite significant.

To k-live;

Generally speaking, an engine as small as a "2.0L" is not about to produce the same numbers as a larger engine will. It may produce similar numbers in percentage, however. So if the engine is cranking out 120 horsepower and an intake increases this by 5%, your gain is 6 HP. With a 240 horsepower engine, at the same 5%, the gain is 12 HP.

From the way in which my car performed after my inatke and exhaust compared to the way it performed in box-stock condition, I would suspect a gain in the neighborhood of 18-20 horsepower and similar numbers in the torque area are about right. The difference is quite noticable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts