The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil, in my car for the first time yesterday. I have the 3.5 v6. And i added what was recommended, 4 1/4 qt. But it was on the (L) on my dipstick. So i added a little more, and im letting it settle again. I was just curious. How much oil am i supposed to add? Have people had to add more then 4 1/4 qt oil in there v6?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Manual

Can't go wrong if you follow manual. Make sure you wait a long time to let the oil settle before checking it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I followed the directions, but the oil was low, and i was on a level surface. The manual, says its an "estimate" of what to put in your vehicle. Sooo? Anyone here have to put in a bit more then 4 1/4 qt?

·
Registered
95 Posts
the service manual says on a NEW/Rebuilt engine it can take 5.3 quarts. But while changing the oil it takes about 4.3. So anywhere between 5.3 and 4.3 you should be fine. I end up putting in 4.75

·
M W S
386 Posts
so damn confusing

the subject of oil level is a very confusing topic for this car. it is supposed to be simple.

every car i've owned required time for ALL the oil to drain into the oil pan for an accurate reading.

even the service tech at nissan says to check it when it has all drained into the pan.

but the manual say to run the car to operating temp, stop the engine for 10 minutes and then check the oil. what the hell is that all about?

people on this site say to check it when the engine is cold.

i think i'm going to follow what the manual says, but should I go by what the dipstick says or just put in the exact amount of oil it says to? what if i inadvertently wait 12 minutes, instead of 10, or 7 minutes instead of 10. is my oil reading going to be off. do i need to set a damn timer for this?

WTF???

·
Registered
95 Posts
you'll find that most people don't know that your air pressure is a COLD air pressure (there can be a 5 psi diff .... depending on tire sizes) - so it's not surprising that there is confusion about this simple concept as well.

The oil temp on the dipsitck is supposed to be a warm temp reading. warm fluids take up more space than cold fluids. they say to wait til it's cold - prolly cause it's a pain the butt to read otherwise - but to get an accurate reading - gotta do it while the fluid is still warm.

When you check it - as long as you are inbetween the low and high line - while the fluid is warm - you are good. If you go over the top line - you could blow a seal.

The dipstick is VERY hard to read - unless the engine has been sitting for atleast 5 minutes. So waiting 10 or 15 is good. 95% of the oil drains back down by being shutoff for 1 minute. Waiting an extra minute past 10 is insignifigant - so is 3 or 4 minutes. That is simply for readability - as long as the engine is warm.

You should have about 4.5 quarts - give or take a quarter of a quart - to be pretty close to the 2/3 mark on the dipstick - assuming you are on level ground.

·
Registered
95 Posts
that is true - but then it would confuse the rest of the car owners who have to do it when it's warm.

kind of like 1987 Honda Accords ..... using different power steering fluid than any other year ... and any other car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine Oil Low

I experienced the same problem over and over again. Kept adding oil and finally had it out with Nissan and they replaced the engine.

Just got car back today andchecked oil at dealer and indicator showed low again!

Send me your details so we can discuss this. I am trying to get in touch with a few others so we can jointly approach NIssan to resolve this problem, rather than just keep fixing the vehicle.

Regards,

Howard

·
Registered
96 Posts
4.5 quarts

Gotta check it when cold, if you do what the manual says and let it run for 10 minutes the oil goes all the way up the dipstick. 4.25 shows low on the dipstick for me so I put in 4.5.

·
465 Posts
4 Quarts and a Mobil1 filter seems to do the trick for me.

It is better to run your car a little low of oil than to have too much in it!

It does seem to take the oil awhile to settle.......... in order to measure it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.