56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have data on this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying a 3.5SE this weekend, AT or 5sp

I'm asking because I don't want to make a bad decision if there is a problem with the AT or the 5sp. Right now I have a 93 Max DOHC 5sp. I'm leaning toward the AT just to get a break from shifting for a while, but if it sucks I don't want it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In magazines I read it was 1 sec slower on the 1/4 mile and 0 to 60....I went with the automatic for more of a luxury feel. It is still fast!

The way I see It even tho its a Auto It can still beat Almost every other car on the road

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
My car has auto and although the 5 sp is slightly faster, 99% of the time I mainly drive in the city. Every car I own were all stick and got tired of shifting. If I were going to get a stick again, it won't be an Altima.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,287 Posts
The car is so powerful and automatic really is adequate...But..for that extra crazy kick..can't beat a stick

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,287 Posts
Don't forget with the stick ..You get that High quality shift boot ggoo for 600 shifts before needing replace...

And also..one of the mags rated it as the worst (Sloppy) shifter they ever tested of all cars ..even bargain basement models included...

Stick owners..I don't want to hear no shit..I am only reporting the reviews done by professionals..I have never driven the Alti 5 speed ..so I can not comment;)

·
Banned
3,339 Posts
shiftboot=crappy, whenever i shift hard into 2nd i feel like it bends like a cardboard box but i'm just waitin for my max :)

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
I actually like the shifter, I know exactly what gear I am in at all time, I have NEEEEEVER missed a shift, sure my cousin's 93 Civic has a smoother action but I don't think the Altima is that bad, I really don't. The clutch on the other hand, lets just say I hope you have a strong foot, that thing takes about a week to engage. The only time I've ever grinded gears in my 5-speed is when I didn't engage the clutch all the way.

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
Bobby said:
stick is da shit
I think that means good:D .

In my case, I have find the 5 speed shift smooth and precise, in short, delightful. Some have reported excessive stiffness, especially in colder temperatures; I've not had this experience. I changed the shift boot to leather, installed an offset chrome/leather shift knob, cut down the lever 2" (see Registry below). I have driven the automatic and it's is quite nice, but the manual sures adds that extra kick. The clutch is not heavily 'sprung' so it's easy on the bod, even in traffic.

I like the manual because of the driver/machine interaction, and I'm not involved in a daily commuting (bumper to bumper traffic) which probably makes a difference. I think there's a tendency to 'boot it' a bit more often with a manual transmission :D :D

PG

·
Banned
3,339 Posts
Waddy said:
I actually like the shifter, I know exactly what gear I am in at all time, I have NEEEEEVER missed a shift, The clutch on the other hand, lets just say I hope you have a strong foot, that thing takes about a week to engage. The only time I've ever grinded gears in my 5-speed is when I didn't engage the clutch all the way.
^^^ everything he said, the clutch is mean, but i like that it's like a bondage thing :brow:

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
Stick shift is the shit:cool: . I mean sure the shifter and boot feel cheap but, change it ? ?. I mean a cheap feeling shifter isnt gonna be the deciding factor to get an auto for me. If the shiftboot tears up, replace it. I would much rather replace a shiftboot, then some weird computer sensor on an auto. If your leaning more towards a performance feel, get a 5sp. The only problem I have with mine is shifting to reverse, it feels as if your gonna break the shifter. Besides IMO auto's suck. A little traffic in a 5sp wont hurt you lol. All my old cars were stick and the same with my parents and brother and sister. Everybody owns a stick in my fam. Believe me if I can drive in rush hour traffic all day in Manhattan, anyone can do it, besides its fun, you'll forget ur driving it after a while ;)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
wild willy said:
Don't forget with the stick ..You get that High quality shift boot ggoo for 600 shifts before needing replace...

And also..one of the mags rated it as the worst (Sloppy) shifter they ever tested of all cars ..even bargain basement models included...

Stick owners..I don't want to hear no shit..I am only reporting the reviews done by professionals..I have never driven the Alti 5 speed ..so I can not comment;)
LOL WW! Funny but true!

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
wild willy said:

I've read these reviews, read owner comments and it's almost as though I'm driving a different car. I've owned or driven more standard shift cars than I can count from exotics like Ferraris, Shelbys, Vettes, to Morris Mini Minors, VWs, Renaults and Mazdas, and my Altima rates up there with the best.

The Altima shift is nowhere near sloppy. It actually 'clicks' into the gears which I don't find bothersome at all, it tells you that you're there. Two things which improved the feel and shifting action instantly were to replace the cheap OEM rubber shift knob with a solid chrome/leather APC installed on an angle for better ergonomics. Reducing nearly 2" length off the shift lever was the icing on the cake. For what it's worth!

PG:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts