The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
donor cycle
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this on www.bottlefedracing.com (place i got my nx system) I thought this would help people understand how and why nitrous works...

How Does Nitrous Work? Simply put, nitrous oxide is not a fuel, but rather a source of additional oxygen for an engine. It enables more fuel to be burned, which in turn produces more horsepower. Concentrated pure oxygen mixed with air produces dangerously hot combustion that can kill an engine in a matter of seconds. Nitrous injection is safer because the oxygen atom in nitrous is bonded to two nitrogen atoms. The oxygen is unavailable at ambient temperatures and disassociates when above 560 degrees. Nitrous is a gas at standard temperature and pressure. (70 degrees, 14.7 PSI). Vapor pressure in a bottle will keep nitrous in liquid form at 760 PSI at standard temperature. Above 97 degrees nitrous will not stay a liquid, no matter what the pressure is. At temperatures below 97 degrees, it is possible to extract either liquid or gaseous nitrous from the bottle, depending on the siphon tube location. Liquid nitrous exiting the bottle will expand very rapidly due to the pressure drop from its normal pressure of 14.7 PSI and will consequently undergo a substantial cooling, becoming extremely cold.Nitrous oxide is 36% oxygen by weight. The chemically correct nitrous gasoline ratio is 9.6:1. The total fuel added almost always needs to be in excess of and beyond the chemically correct mixture, to keep the combustion temperatures reasonable. By the same token, lean mixtures can be disastrous in a nitrous engine. With no excess fuel, hot spots can cause the onset of pre-ignition and detonation. Lean nitrous/fuel ratios must be avoided at all costs. With gasoline, the maximum horsepower in a normally aspirated engine occurs at air fuel ratios 15-20% rich of stoichiometric. Nitrous engines burn on air fuel mixture with enhanced oxygen content but less nitrogen, so there is less inert nitrogen to control combustion temperatures, automatically causing combustion temperatures and flame speeds to increase. Actual fuel mixtures should be increased well rich of stoichiometric to achieve maximum power and to provide combustion chamber cooling. -James at TNT Nitrous

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
this will help a lot of people. awhile ago people were claiming Nitroud just cools the air down.

·
founding father
1,952 Posts
in a nutshell when the nitrous hits the intake manifold it turns into a gas...oxygen. so its cramming a higher density of oxygen into the engine. and obviously what an engine needs to produce power is air and fuel( and of course a spark). and you need more fuel whenever you increase the amount of oxygen getting to then engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts