The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last day I got winter tyres for my Nissan Altima. I got it done from an Edmonton based service centre - Apex Specialized Automotive Inc. All I wanna know is, how often should one change their tyres?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Last day I got winter tyres for my Nissan Altima. I got it done from an Edmonton based service centre. All I wanna know is, how often should one change their tyres?
I'm not sure I understand your question...

Do you mean?:

1) How often should I ROTATE my winter tires?

OR

2) How often should I REPLACE my winter tires?

ANSWERS:

1) ROTATION - This will depend on your winter mileage and whether or not this is on snow-covered or dry conditions. I only put on less than 10,000 km per winter season and don't bother to rotate until the following season.

2) REPLACEMENT - This depends on remaining tread depth and tire age. I find that after 3 years, even if there is still at least half the original tread depth, they tend to lose their ice traction and should probably be replaced.

...hope this helps!

NOTE: In most of Canada you should now qualify for a 5% reduction in your insurance premiums if you have Winter Tires installed during specific periods. In Ontario, the tires must be installed early in November and not removed until the end of April. I think that is a bit ridiculous, as the roads in Southern Ontario are usually warm and dry by early April and this will only wear out your expensive winter tires prematurely....but, if anyone asks, my snows are on until the end of April ;)

Reactions: OkieScot

·
Hal in Va near D.C.
147 Posts
Just changed my original front Dunlops at approximately 38,500 miles.
The rears have some life left. I am not diligent about rotating.
I used the age old test of using a U.S. Penny inserted between two treads.
If the space above Mr Lincoln's head is showing, time to change( from a treadwear point of view).
I rather like the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's that I got.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you should be rotating your tires every 5k miles to utilizes even thread wear between all 4 tires and minimizing tire scalloping. that pretty much correlates to 13-14 altimas doing it every other oil change since their intervals are at 3750 miles, for the 15+ altimas that do 5k oil changes then, well you know.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I rotate my tires every 5k when doing my oil change.
Approaching 30k miles and they still look good.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Snow tires every 3-4 years IMHO....more about how much of the shoulder season you drive them than the actual tread depth remaining. Heat and time are the enemy of cold weather tires. As a side note, check the date code on your tires before paying...especially if you got them on sale...don't accept anything older than a year as you will have already lost the best 12 months of traction they'll ever have.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I rotate mine per the manual every 7500 miles, give or take 1K miles. I'm at 48K with the factory set. However will need to get new ones soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last day I got winter tyres for my Nissan Altima. I got it done from an Edmonton based service centre - Apex Specialized Automotive Inc. All I wanna know is, how often should one change their tyres?
Hey there! Since it's a new one, I don't think, you'll have to replace it any time sooner. However, it depends on the quality of the tyre. And also the roads of your town too plays a very important role in deciding your car tyre's life span. Things You Must Know Before Buying New Tires | Service Plus 416 : Toronto Automotive Garage However, here are some few tips that can help you find out the right time to replace your old ones and also select the right ones. Hope, it helps you out.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

I just turned 30,xxx miles on my 2015 Altima 2.5 S and my "tyres" are still going strong. The car came with Hankook Optimo rubber from the factory, but I have seen other Altima sedans with Continental and even Michelins.

I expect to have to change them out around 45,000 miles or so - which is reasonable. I have them rotated every 5,000 to 6,000 miles; something I have done with every vehicle.

In VA, typical "all season" tires are adequate. If I were in FL, I would get 'summer only' skins.....but someone up in Canada or New England might invest in a set of Blizzak winter tires.

P.S. If I still have this car when it comes time to replace the bologna skins, I will look into Bridgestone or Michelin - since they are carried by Costco and run rebates pretty often.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I managed to get 52K off of my factory set of Continentals. Could have made it another 3-4K if the nail hadn't punctured the side wall.

I rotated mine per schedule sometimes a 1-2K beyond the manual recommend mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts