The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i put Synthetic in my 02 3.5 3500 Miles ago. I put a brand new Filter in as well. My question is, how often do I change to Oil in it now (how many miles)? Synth Oil isnt cheap, so i dont want to do it to early or too often.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've gotten lazy in my old days so I change mine every 5k miles. Makes it easy to remember. I put it in at 5k so changes occur at 10k, 15k, 20k etc.

·
cruiser
1,016 Posts
Same here. . around 4000-5000 miles

·
Registered
190 Posts
i want to start using mobil 1 synthetic, but someone in the engine performance fourm said never switch oil brands, it will ruin my engine. any opinions on this?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
truedealx said:
i want to start using mobil 1 synthetic, but someone in the engine performance fourm said never switch oil brands, it will ruin my engine. any opinions on this?
It's a myth. First off, you don't want to switch to synthetic until about 6,000 miles are on the car. It's important to use crude oil prior.

Second, you can go back and forth from synthetic to non-synthetic as many times as you want, with no problems.

·
*Donating Member* Member
877 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 at 5,000 miles, and I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. It is easy to remember, and I rotate the tires at every oil change also.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i tried synthetic oil in my maxima, cost me close to 50 bucks and I didnt notice any increases in performance or increases in fuel economy. Regular oil will do it for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
in that case then you save time and convenience since you can go twice as long with a synthetic oil change as oppose to a regular oil change. that's why it's 50 bucks. it's usually double the price of a regular oil change. same difference

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
i put mobil 1 in since the first oil change....i used oem nissan filters....I just did an oil change this weekend and I am now trying out the mobil 1 filter as well. I usually change every 3k miles. This time I went around 4k and I didn't like it at all. I was very uncomfortable using the same oil for that long. 3k mile oil changes for me forever. $50 bucks for an oil change???!!!???? :eek: That's rediculous. Mobil 1 is $20-$25 for 5 or 6 quarts. Mobil or Nissan filter is no more than 10 bucks. How does that add up to $50????? :dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
probably a 15 point inspection, full service oil change. I'd go to Wally World for that. $30 for synthetic oil change and they check and top all the fluids

·
C's get degrees.
1,338 Posts
Nothing is better than RedLine. I change mine every 3000 miles. How often should you change your oil? Depends on how much you like your car. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts