The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this the other day and I took some pictures while I was at it. Hopefully this will help some people if they're planning on doing the same thing.

This was done on an 05 SE-R with the Bose 6-CD changer. I can't guarantee that the wire colors are going to be the same for your car, so check a wiring diagram to be sure.

If you want to add an amp to your stock Bose system without changing the H/U or paying for a special harness follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the black/blue harness connector from the Bose amp (underneath the rear panel in the trunk).

2. Find the appropriate cables to splice (my audio signal cables were wrapped in the red and grey heatshrink):

GREEN/WHITE: Amp ON/OFF signal
BLUE: Rear Right +
BLACK/WHITE: Rear Right -
BROWN: Rear Left +
BLACK/RED: Rear Left -
(It helps to label the cables with tape)

3. Cut one end off of a spare patch cable:

4. Strip the patch cables. The shielded cable on the inside is +, the outer shielding is -. Connect these (splice, crimp, solder) to some spare wire and label accordingly (R-, R+, L-, L+):

5. Using quick splice terminals, connect the appropriate wires from the patch cable to the wires on the Bose amp harness, and your amp turn-on cable:

6. Plug the RCA patch cable in to your amp input, and attach the cable from the Bose amp turn-on wire to your amp. That's it!

The inputs to the Bose amp are all ready low level, so splicing your patch cable in to these ensures you get the pure signal from the H/U.
The quick splice terminals can be bought at any auto parts store for pretty cheap. You don't have to use them, but it makes things a LOT easier.
Thanks again to Nismos14 for helping me figure this out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did exactly what you did above, albeit just a bit different (see HERE and HERE if you are interested). Works great, especially if you have an amp that can take advantage of the balanced signal that comes out of the OEM unit.

The only issue I've encountered is that the voltage that comes off of the stock system is pretty low. I don't have any noise issues, but I hate to turn up the gains to make up the difference. Regardless, it's an easy way to add a line-level signal to your car without introducing equipment which might add noise to the system. Sometimes applying the KISS principle to something actually makes things better!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just curious, are the speaker wires for your '09 the same color as mine? Did you happen to take notice?
I'm not sure if the wiring colors are the same. Starting in 2007, the wiring harness changed in the Altimas, so it probably uses different colors. That being said, for my car, I made a diagram of the pins used for each connection, and where they correspond to the Symbilink system (which is used by Zapco for their line of amps, and is a balanced signal system). The colors are from Nissan's Service Manual... but even those didn't completely match what I was seeing on the back of the harness. What is important, however, is that the correct pin #'s are used.

For the Symbilink system diagrammed above, the shields would be tied together and grounded (if that is even needed... I didn't need it for mine, I have no noise issues). The VOP+ and VOP- are power lines coming FROM the amp... so those were cut and covered to prevent any kind of shorting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Duvy, when u say "attach the cable from the Bose amp turn-on wire to your amp." were you talking about hooking up the green wire to the remote input on the amp? And obviously I'm still gonna need to ground wire my amp as well right? Excuse my "cluelessness"

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duvy, when u say "attach the cable from the Bose amp turn-on wire to your amp." were you talking about hooking up the green wire to the remote input on the amp? And obviously I'm still gonna need to ground wire my amp as well right? Excuse my "cluelessness"
Correct.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm in a deployment.

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
5,137 Posts
See, I did this and now the amp won't turn on. I tested the wire and I was getting power (10v IIRC), it just won't switch the amp on. Any suggestions? I'm trying to avoid running a remote wire all the way back to the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The hardest part was finding the right wires! Hopefully the pics will help anyone that wants to do this now...
Thanks again for your help!
Quick question regarding using the correct wires. Are the rear speaker wires that you tapped into above full range? I picked up my Altima used a few days ago, the front speakers weren't working and i discovered they are a set of MB quart components

I'm just waiting on my new HU to ship and wanted to tap into the factory wires for a full range signal to amp my front speakers.

Can I use the wires above? or are those EQ'd or Crossed over?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is just an interim solution. The deck will be wired in properly. This is just to tide me over until it's here. I was wondering which wires to tap into to for the closest to full range signal

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm looking to add an amp/sub to my bose system. I have an 08 Altima and was wondering if anyone had a walkthrough on that or a diagram of the wires and whatnot? Any help would appreciated. I'm quite the noob :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 06 altima with the bose system so this should work right.
1. i can do that
2. i just need to find my car's wiring diagram (do you know if it's the same?)
3. that cable is an RCA cable right? so i cut the end of it and inside there should be two more cables making it four.
4. what gauge is that blue wire? can i use a 16 gauge? can i use electrical tape to splice them?
5. can do that
6. i plug the RCA cable (from picture 3?) into my aftermarket amp, and the BOSE turn-on
wire, that would be the remote? to my amp and i'm done.
Thanks guys.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,934 Posts
Nothing is simple in the BOSE->Normal or Normal->BOSE world.

For starters, the BOSE signals are balanced/differential (ie L+/L-) not un-balanced (L,GND). There are no RCA's to be found anywhere and you will require converter$ no matter what. You cannot hook all the -ve's together.

BOSE uses a 4ch system from HU to AMP. The amp then drives all 6 (in mine anyways) speaker system, creating the centre channel dash speaker and sub-woofer signals electronically.

Assuming you are putting in a 'dumb' amp, then you probably want to convert the BOSE amp output (ie speaker side) back to line level and feed your new amp with that signal. If you don't, you'll need to split off the 4 balance audio pairs, converted them to unbalanced (RCA) and feed those 4ch into your AMP.

Read through this twice before you start anyting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts