The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There is moisture from rain inside the front, drivers-side headlamp on my Altima 2009 SL sedan.

I was looking for ways to fix by plugging the whole with silicon or getting a TYC 20-6828-00 Nissan Altima Driver Side Headlight Assembly for $120 on amazon.

Question is:

how can I locate source of the leak?
how do i fix it if it is from outsdie/ inside?
If I get a part on amazon is it difficult to remove and replace the old headlight?

Due to winter coming, I hear moisutre+ heat from the bulb in very cold temperatures can shatter the bulb. Is this true?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Shop Vac

Disclaimer- I know nothing about your headlight assembly -- But --

I learned on youtube how to remove water from a cell phone - No - Not rice - use a shop vacuum. It really worked for me.

Attach vacuum to assembly - I assume at the light bulb connection - seal with a wet towel etc - and vacuum away. If actual water droplets are not being removed, the "draft" may remove moisture.

This may work in reverse. Switch the hose to blow air. Use some sort of filter, old T-shirt or actual air filter element etc to keep light assembly clean, and blow away. You may find leaks by feel and or soapy water.

This may / may not work, but IMO it may be worth trying before buying a new light assembly. IF it works - let us know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I saw someone do that in a youtube video. The only issue is finding the source of the leak. is there a "wet the tire" type trick to find the leak.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
When I had to do something like this;

Take the assembly out of the car,
Attach a blower (or shop vac in reverse),
Close off all other holes,
Coat assembly in soapy water,
Turn on blower/vac,
Look for bubbles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
what MRR said, pretty much a air blower of some sort, air blow gun or leaf blower whatever. port that hold to the low beam hole in the headlamp, and leave all the other bulb sockets plugged in. spray some soap water/windex around the sealing area between the lense and the housing itself and then blow air and see if you see bubbles, if not spray the solution everywhere else and look. R&R of the headlamp assembly requires removal of the bumper fyi. so it'll prolly take you about an hour or so with basic hand tools and are mechanically inclined to do so

1 - 5 of 5 Posts