The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need to know how to get the needles off asap i have my cluster out and i need to knwo how to get my needles off and then how to wire the gaugues up thanks

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Are you working on indiglo gauges? If so, you do not need to remove the needles. If you're doing indiglo needles, that's a different story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are just the gauges and if so then do i take off my other ones and slip them over it or what and also how do i hook them up thanks and if you can tell me now it woud be very appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok ive already done my guages to what you have to do is take a pair of tweezers and take out the little pins that prevent your needles from going all the way around, then mark where the needle rest without the pins in, (you'll need to know this to put them back on), then turn the needles slowly clockwise while pulling gently up on the needles, after about five turns they should come off. DONT PULL THEM OFF! the will not go back on if you do. then thats that to re apply them just put them back onto the post and turn them counter clockwise gently and bam they are back on. and to panit them red you will need to sand the backs off first then repaint them.

·
Boston Alty LE
113 Posts
dont be stupid, dont take your needles off...500 dollar big mistake..you'll need a new cluster...never **** with the needles...www.importintelligence.com will do everything for you for like 25 bucs...beats payin 500 for a new cluster from nissan.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
This is the install guide for it. Kinda vauge but it's better then nothing.
> I bought those and I thought I almost broke the
> needle please tell me how to
> get them off without braking them Thank You --Chino
>
Ok here it goes.

Remove the pod from the gauge cluster. For example,
say you want to remove the speedodometer without ripping out the needle post.

Pod = the mechanical portion of the speedometer, RMP, temp, or the fuel gauge.
cluster = the white thing that holds all of the pods.

On the back of the cluster, unscrew all 3 or 4 screws that hold the pod in the cluster.

Now your going to need a pair of small needle nose pliers and a wire strippers.. Here are exact pics of the tools you need.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/pricesrite_1659_3825101
and
http://r4.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http...productId=58805

These can be purchased at any Hardware store. It's under $10 all together for both tools.

When you take the pod out it is going to be still attached to the gauge face plate. (The one that tells you how fast you are going.)
Take the strippers and grab the metal post in between the gauge face plate and the pod. Basically grab the post with the strippers behind the gauge face plate.
All of the weight is going to be supported in the post and the strippers. Take the pliers and place them under the needle. It's going to be a tight fit. Clap down on the strippers so all of the force is on the post. Making sure you DO NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE on the actual pod. Now pull the needle off. *Poof* your done.

Due note that this will not work for the Fuel or Temp gauges. I just ripped them out by hand. If you can ge the strippers in there then more power to you.

I hope this helps.
This should be moved to the FAQ

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Altima411 said:
dont be stupid, dont take your needles off...500 dollar big mistake..you'll need a new cluster...never **** with the needles...www.importintelligence.com will do everything for you for like 25 bucs...beats payin 500 for a new cluster from nissan.
That's because you didn't take necessary precautions. I've taken the needles off about 7 times now, and no problems at all. You just got to know what you're doing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An easy way to remove the needles is to turn them counter clockwise until they will not go anymore without force. Then you mark that location where the needle is pointing. That is the calibration point. Once it's marked keep turning them counterclockwise a lot until they come off. Do not force them. To put them back on, line them up with the calibration point and push down firmly but carefully.

·
Nissan-Suzuki-Infiniti
324 Posts
There are some people here who are driving their Altys with gauges that don't work because they incorrectly took off the needles.

New gauges for the Altima will cost you $400 - $500 from the dealer.

If you do a search, someone here has posted detailed instructions on installing the gauges.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
CryingFreeman said:

New gauges for the Altima will cost you $400 - $500 from the dealer.

And a used cluster at the junkyard will run you $120.

Hooray for junkyards!

·
Banned
1,392 Posts
i tried taking mine off for my indiglo guages..had them all off til the last one broke..clusterfrom online junkyard 100.00..but now i have 11,000 less miles..so long run may pay off...shhhh..dont tell..lol

·
donor cycle
8,475 Posts
500 for a cluster LOL, mine cost 60 bux!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts