The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board. I just bought a new black 3.5 SE with every option.(pick it up tomorrow) I also have a 95 SHO that I love. I have had four SHO's since 1989. When I saw and drove the Altima, I fell in love.

I was reading in Car & Driver and it says that the top speed is governed. #1 is this true? and #2 how can I defeat it.

I am imagining a chip change or something in the computer, correct?

My SHO will hit 145mph and I imagine the Altima should be around there too.

Thanks for the info
William

·
Registered
128 Posts
My understanding is that only the automatic trans version is speed limited. And that should be about 128mph. Mostly because they spec HR-rated tires on the Auto and VR-rated on the 5-speeds.

(Following Nissan's logic, I guess the top speed of the 5-speed must be less than 150 mph, since the speed rating of VR tires is 149 mph.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to say this cause it really makes me cry, but I bought the automatic 3.5 - My wife didn't want another car in the family that she can't drive. I know I should get a new wife, huh?

Anyhow if the 5 speed is unlimited then there is definately a way to disable the speed governor somehow.

William

·
Registered
128 Posts
How often do you get a chance to drive over 120 mph? Just curious. I don't expect to ever go that fast in mine. Too much risk of arrest. I don't think I ever had my '98 Accord over 100mph in 3.5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SHO - 145 MPH??

An SHO hitting 145 mph? Buddy, tell me what label is on that bottle that you are drinking from! I GOTTA HAVE SOME OF THAT.:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ran my car on the dyno jet. I also did a top speed run. In 5th I hit 141.9 when the fuel cut hit it was like a surge then the car would not go any faster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2K2 Alty with the automatic. Over the past weekend I was on a road trip out on the open interstate when a newer black camaro decided to come up on me fast. I put it to the floor, and by 120 I had matched his speed....the Alty just kinda hung there for a second and I thought I'd hit the limiter, but then it shifted to 4th and went to 130 and the camaro started fading....not sure if it had more or not cause I let off at that point. The car is very stable at high speeds...doesn't even feel like you are in the triple digits. As for the camaro, I'm not sure what trim level it was, but in all fairness it did have 3 or 4 guys in it....I wouldn't normally expect to beat a camaro. Also, I don't make a habit of driving my car that fast....its inherently dangerous and I don't recommend it at all.

Kevin

·
Registered
717 Posts
sprayin70 said:
I ran my car on the dyno jet. I also did a top speed run. In 5th I hit 141.9 when the fuel cut hit it was like a surge then the car would not go any faster.
That was at 5th gear redline?
Is yours a 2.5 or 3.5?
If it's a 3.5, it seems to me that 141.9 is low
for a 3.5!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A stock SHO(mine is a 5speed) will hit 145 on the speedo. I know my speedo is accurate to 120 cause I got clocked by the police at that speed. If you are not familiar with the SHO it has a 220hp Yamaha V-6 and excellent aerodynamics. A guy on the shoforum.com board is a speed record holder(not sure the class) in the SHO at 160mph, of course his is heavily modified. Go to shoshop.com if you want to see the potential. 600hp at the crank and about 450hp at the wheels is possible in the SHO.

I live in a small town and yes I do travel at high speeds frequently(100-120 range). If a Z-28 comes along I do not want to be stuck at 120-130mph.

William

Here is a pic of my SHO

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also live in a rural area and have the opportunity to travel at higher speeds on occasion. The car is extremely stable at speeds in excess of 140 mph. I am not certain how fast the car will go, but it has spme omph left even at 140+.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 141.9 was a top speed run. That was in 5th gear. My dyno hp is 192.4 and 205.5 TQ. It is a 3.5.

·
Registered
74 Posts

i top the car out living in ft laud at nights on the freeway all the time. This car handles great at high speeds and is very easy to get to high speeds.
As well as a note i was told on the auto the governor starts at 80mph slowing the car till it hits the 130 so it is not as noticable.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,758 Posts
Re: 130

ppeter78 said:
i top the car out living in ft laud at nights on the freeway all the time. This car handles great at high speeds and is very easy to get to high speeds.
As well as a note i was told on the auto the governor starts at 80mph slowing the car till it hits the 130 so it is not as noticable.
Not be be stupid, but what exactly does that mean..."" the governor starts at 80""

·
I wanna get Psycho
27 Posts
Well just for all you speed demons out there.. The other night i was racing my friend who has a 98 Maxima SE....We were flying down 91 in CT and before i knew it i looked down and the car was at 151mph. And it still felt like it wanted more. Once i saw how fast i was going i got scared so i slowed down. And i did not feel the engine try to slow down it just wanted more. It was handling like a champ.

:D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awww man prophet... I only hit 130 on the connector from 91 to the Berlin Tpke.... I'm gonna have to really let it unwind next time. :D

Hey, you ever in the Hartford area? Maybe two weeks ago I was going back and forth with a black 3.5SE on 84, right near hartford.... i love that. Just seeing those dual exhausts, and you know you can have fun with the guy... haha. I love this car.

Mike in CT

·
Registered
180 Posts
I second that!

Having owned an 89 Sho I will say it's true. Back in 89 the sho was quite a car, even by todays standards it performs very well.
Pulls the same skid pad as a new alti and does it on 15 inch tires (.83G). is only a few tenths slower in the quarter mile at 15.2.
The braking sucks it must be 165 feet from 60mph. I think a lot of early 5 speed SHO owners will see the Alti as a good replacement.
My SHO was starting to put me in the poor house because of the high milage so I sold it! I still miss it.

FAST4DR said:
A stock SHO(mine is a 5speed) will hit 145 on the speedo. I know my speedo is accurate to 120 cause I got clocked by the police at that speed. If you are not familiar with the SHO it has a 220hp Yamaha V-6 and excellent aerodynamics. A guy on the shoforum.com board is a speed record holder(not sure the class) in the SHO at 160mph, of course his is heavily modified. Go to shoshop.com if you want to see the potential. 600hp at the crank and about 450hp at the wheels is possible in the SHO.

I live in a small town and yes I do travel at high speeds frequently(100-120 range). If a Z-28 comes along I do not want to be stuck at 120-130mph.

William

Here is a pic of my SHO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Weel proph. I do not believe you. I had my car on the dyno jet and I did a top speed run. In 5th gear the car made it to 141.9 mph. The dyno will go as fast as the car will. It has a fuel cut at 141 mph the car surges and it will not get any faster. The max boys are getting the apexi rev speed meter. It takes out the speed limiter. I have on video my car doing a top speed run if anycome to our meet on the 27th I will bring the video. So anyway peace.

·
Registered
81 Posts
by sprayin70
Weel proph. I do not believe you. I had my car on the dyno jet and I did a top speed run. In 5th gear the car made it to 141.9 mph. The dyno will go as fast as the car will. It has a fuel cut at 141 mph the car surges and it will not get any faster.
His speedometer probably said what he claimed. Remember, someone else pointed out that the speedo error increases the faster you go. 150 was probably 140 real time.

OpalBlue

1 - 20 of 22 Posts