The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grrr >_<
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i did a search and didnt find anything on this topic. I was thinking that if i were to sand my car down and prime it myself? do you know if its possible or even better has anyone done this before? i need to know asap! thanks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Never done it, but I'm gonna do it to my bumpers and grill. Don't think it's really hard, just sand of the paint, then wet-sand it with thin sandpaper. Don't know what grit to use though

·
Registered
243 Posts
zEk-sss said:
I think watersanding is like 1300 grit
yes it is, I first used a electric sander with really rough grip to get it down to the bare metal. Then go over it with 1000 and 1300 and I think it might go one lower level grit. It isnt really that hard, just make sure its smooth as hell before you prime it
good luck

·
Grrr >_<
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
koo i got a reply maddd quick, lol thanks for the input guys. so i CAN use a electric sander, and a watersander? hmm i wonder where i can get one? prolly home depot? ill check in on that aitte koo .

peace
neil

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
hmm, water and elec don't mix, so I don't know waht to tell you on that one but I'm gonna use a sander hooked to a compressor, and run the water over it while you sand. but remember the first thing I said in this post ;)

·
Grrr >_<
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know . . . thats a good point . so then is it cool if i jsut use a electric sander??? is a water sander really needed to do the job rite?
neil

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
you don't need a water sander, you can do it by hand. Just wet the bumper, then dip the sandpaper in water with a little soap, and sand it

·
Grrr >_<
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol great not like i had too many life threating events happen to me since 9 11!!! OK SO I GUESS IMA BE DOING THIS PROJECT BY HAND OR WITH A ELECTRIC WITH NO WATER. THANKS

fried neil

·
Banned
0 Posts
take a hose and wet the car really well. Get very fine grit sandpaper, like 800 or higher, and sand the hell out of it. As for priming it, I would let a shop do that unless you have the equipment and airtight location. Any dust leftover will ruin your work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts