The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey mate

You can carry out a quick test by individually unplugging/disconnecting each coil.

when you disconnect the coil the engine revs should drop.

if you unplug a coil and no change in the engine rpm occurs then you've found your no good coil :)

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Hey mate

You can carry out a quick test by individually unplugging/disconnecting each coil.

when you disconnect the coil the engine revs should drop.

if you unplug a coil and no change in the engine rpm occurs then you've found your no good coil :)
Unless his engine is a V6

·
Registered
15 Posts
no worries mate

have you had your plugs replaced recently?
is there any vacuum leaks?
i had a 3.5 about a week ago motor would miss intermittently turn out to be 2 dud coils
there is also a possibility they just have a poor connection with the earth

have a look at a few of these and see how you go :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
is your CEL on? if so, whats the code?

also, if its intermittent, then its going to be hard to know IMO. If you have a lot of miles on your car, might as well replace them as PM. You can just purchase the boot that has the coil inside if you check the boots and see damage. Make sure to remove the ends and check for damage. The boots are only $10 each at autozone. I had physical damage in one of mine, and bought the boot only, but that didn't fix the problem, so I had to replace the entire thing.

Here are a few videos that you might want to check. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=altima+ignition+coil&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Also, there is a spark indicator by LIsle, for those that don't have that intermittent issue. Sears.com but the pull out method Nistech is what made it crystal clear to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am having same issue pretty much on my '05 Altima, but Im having trouble getting codes from it without a scan tool. I have tried a couple methods to retrieve the codes using a jumper wire but information i found said to use pins 1 and 8...nothing

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am having same issue pretty much on my '05 Altima, but Im having trouble getting codes from it without a scan tool. I have tried a couple methods to retrieve the codes using a jumper wire but information i found said to use pins 1 and 8...nothing
Sorry, it was not my intention to highjack this thread but i wanted to come back and provide a bit of an update. I think i will have to put checking the coils and plugs off a bit. i got what appears to be a P0420 and P1614 code retrieved after many attempts at the pedal code retrieval method.

Seen many threads relating to these codes so Im going to learn more about them in other threads. Would still value any input on either these codes and reference material or coils because if i can get codes figured out I want replace coils too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts