The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
EL Baja-Panti
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my alternator is f****ing up im getting the brake light and battery light................
Is there a way to test if the alternator is good?

Maybe if i turn the car on and remove the battery terminal (positive one), and see if the cars on........

Thanx for any suggestions or help, might take my car to a member who works at a nissan dealership if anything,

·
Banned
377 Posts
start car.........pop hood......remove positive battery cable.......car shutz OFF your alternator iz SHOT.........car stayz running...something else............are u good at taking stuff apart? and replacing...i had an alternator go out and got lucky and sodered a few thingz back together and it worked jus fine again

·
Speed Racer
243 Posts
a safer and quicker way
start the car, pop the hood, take a volt meter and attach it to positive and negative termals. if it reads over 12v then it is good. if it reads under 12 then it is PROBALY shot.

·
EL Baja-Panti
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not very handy, but ive seen a friend change his alternator and kinda helped, so ill figure it out, unless u have step by step instructions....hehehe....just playing,....unless u can.
but ill try the terminal removal thing...

thanx man

Sorry no volt meter....

·
was up
3,277 Posts
or just drive to autozone or pepboys or any of those places and theyll test it for free. theyll use a little cart they wheel out to the parking lot and put a load on the battery and see how well it charges

·
Pacman
341 Posts
Screw it and just take it to AutoZone. I work there- the test takes like 3 mins, it's free, so why the hell not?

·
Pacman
341 Posts
Also, the test shows what amps the alternator is putting out and checks the diode pattern, not just the regulator volts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
take a multimeter attach it to the battery and then turn on the car if the voltage jumps up then your altenator is good or just attach the positive side of the multimeter to the bat positive on the altenator and the negative on a good ground and if good it should read between 14.1 and 14.7

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
start car, pop hood, and place tongue on altenator.............:D

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
Hmm the same thing with the lights was going for me right before mine died. So it's a good bet your alternator is going or is almost dead.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
when the car's off, the battery should read around 12v. when the car's turned on, the battery reading should at least be 14.3v. Check it with a multimeter.

Off the car, the alternator should generate around 13v, not 8v.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its gone, I had that problem with the battery and brake light a week ago and 2 days later I was broke down on the side of the road. Dont take it to Auto Zone or Advanced to get it checked cause it will kill the altenator for sure. Your best bet is to find an altenator and change it before you get stuck. I found one for 75 bucks and it only took like 20 min to change. Very Very easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts