The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got this humming sound that i just started noticing 3 weeks after purchasing my new Altima 2.5 S, automatic transmission.
The sound only seems to occur when i accelerate and seems to follow the tempo of the engine speed. I called it a "humming sound" because that's the only way i could describe it. But i would also say that it has a resonating quality to it also. Its also more noticible when i'm coasting at low speeds ( around 25 mph.) with my foot off the pedal. I think the sound is probably occuring at high speeds too but the regular engine noise and road noise drowns it out at that point. It does NOT happen when the car is idling.

The sound isn't very loud but it is noticible to me and was not there when i bought the car.

It concerns me enough that i have an appointment for a service guy to check it out tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience???

azad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just got back from the dealership

Just a followup to my previous message...

i took the car to the dealership and after taking a look at it, they told me that they had to order a part and that i should return monday for the repair to be completed.
They said that the "tensioner" is defective and needs to be replaced. I've never heard of this part. Have any of you???

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
I've heard of a belt tensioner for the timing belt. It is likely a spring-load pully the pushes down on the belt at the proper force to provide the correct tension on the timing belt. I could see how this would cause a humming sound that varies with speed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
tensioner

tsplano said:
I've heard of a belt tensioner for the timing belt. It is likely a spring-load pully the pushes down on the belt at the proper force to provide the correct tension on the timing belt. I could see how this would cause a humming sound that varies with speed.
I am pretty sure the Altimas run timing chains , not belts but as for the tensioner i'm not sure what they are talking about.:confused:

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
Re: tensioner

Civic to Alty said:

I am pretty sure the Altimas run timing chains , not belts but as for the tensioner i'm not sure what they are talking about.:confused:
LOL!!! Forgot all about that! Especially the fact that it was one of the newer things that blew me away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tsplano said:
Thanks for the info. Although the altima uses a timing chain instead of a belt, i'm sure what you said still applies. I really hope they can fix this thing correctly. The sound is so noticible to be now and is very annoying especially if i don't have the radio/cd on!!

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
Ratwayne said:
belt tensioner? :( maybe it is the belt for the altinator/ air conditioner pump? There is a tensioner there.
Yes you are correct. I believe I was thinking the drive belt and not the timing chain.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Humming

I have to admit, I'm always up for a good hummer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you look in your owner's manual (or the .pdf version), you will see the pulley and belt diagram on page 8-19 (198). The 4-cylinder uses a serpentine belt (the V-6 uses two belts, not a serpentine), and this type of belt requires the use of a tensioner. The unlabeled pulley on the 4-cyl diagram is the tensioner (same thing on the V-6).

·
Altima owner type guy
47 Posts
hmm

my 2.5.. buzzes? kinda at higher rpm?

Think I need my chain tensioned?
How much did it cost???????//
And yeah he's right, chain-timed engines have tensioners just like belt-timed engines. The only diff between the two is one's cheaper, a little less power-paracitic, quieter, but lasts half the time and is mroe likely to crap up on you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts