The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TopNotch FL President
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offline since we lost power on Friday, 13th (figures). Anyhow, Charley moved a lot sharper to the Northeast than was expected so we got hit far worse than anyone expected us to. A lot of people from the Tampa Bay area came more inland to evacuate their homes thinking they would be demolished by the storm but all they became was a nuisance because much of the space shelters and hotels had vacant was taken by them. A myriad of people in this area have suffered severe damage to their homes, cars, but especially morale. The first few days it was difficult to even buy gas without having to wait in monstrous lines. I have been told that the massive lines looked much like those from the gas shortage days in the 70's. Many gas stations were out of fuel so signs were posted telling people that they were completely out or a limit restriction of $10-15 was placed on the pumps. The few places that did have power such as local restaurants were overwhelmed by hungry, hot customers that had very short tempers and were not as easily pleased. Fortunately, electricity has been restored for the most part around my immediate location but many towns west and south of us are still without power and crews do no expect it to be on again for them for at LEAST another week. You never really know what you truly have and take for granted until it is restricted or worse- it is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in Port Richey and they were going to evacuate this area initially. Turns out its good that they didn't. I feel for the people who have lost their homes. I have a friend of the family who lost his home. We were VERY fortunate to have missed it...

·
Banned
413 Posts
Sounds and looks like it's that time of the month agian (or years) for mother nature. Glad you made it through okay and hope your car dident get damaged.

·
4,020 Posts
I realize a hurricane can do a lot of damage, but we see down trees and lines through out winter here in Syracuse, and it's hella cold out too, and try driving in 3 feet of snow some days. I don't complain, but you live in area that has a strong probability for getting hit by that type of event.
Oh and I'll be down in Orlando in about 30 days, so everything better be cleaned up when I get there!

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts
Jlweis....

cat. 4 hurricane is far worse than winter...not hardly comperable

·
4,020 Posts
Bigox911 said:
Jlweis....

cat. 4 hurricane is far worse than winter...not hardly comperable
Have you ever been in a blizzard, cannot drive, power goes out in a 30 below temperatures so you have no heat, no hot water, and can barely get out of your house to even travel somewhere safe and warm? More people die every year due to snow storms and blizzards then hurricanes. Winter here is a lot worst then any winter storm you could conjure in your head in Georgia. We may not get the mass damage of a wiped out trailer park, but we get damage to our cars, homes, streets and the like. I'm not saying a hurricane isn't bad, because it is, I'm definately not discounting it, but every place you live you have natural events that are prone to occur. You either live with them or you need to move.

·
A d m i n
225 Posts
crazy pics

hurricane worse than blizzards. blizzard deaths are from driving when you should not or from freezing after power goes out (really a cold weather thing not a blizzard thing).... hurricane deaths are from your roof crashing on your head. the only reason hurricane death tolls are not over 100 is because people evacuate and take shelter (like they should).

heck i think it is fun to drive in snow!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
That sucks. Natural disasters scare the crap out of me, and I won't believe anyone who says otherwise. They are one of the few things that can not be controlled in this world.

We've seen our fair share of crap here in Chicago as well. Our blizzards are not as often as NY's, but when they hit, they HIT. Harder than anything I've seen in NY. I once got caught driving down the interstate and it just started snowing so bad I couldn't see 15 feet in front of my car. I stopped to the side of the road, and when the snow cleared a bit, I started driving again. The ground was solid ice, and it was so windy, a gust blew my car and effectively slid it from one lane into the next.

No, blizzards are not to be taken as lightly as some of you would suggest. Neither are hurricanes. I feel for you guys. As much as I'm hoping your hurricane season comes to an end, I dread it, because that's when the winter starts here in Chicago. Why do I get the feeling it's going to be a nasty one?

·
TopNotch FL President
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the record, I do not live in a trailer park nor have I ever. lol Anyways, these pictures were just shots I got while driving around after the storm and surveying the damage. Fortunately, my house remains unscathed from the 100+ MPH winds gusts we experienced. JLewis, I do tend to agree with you about deep freeze in winter. I am originally from Massachusetts although I have lived in Florida most of my life. I have experienced both types of weather and for those who are not used to bitter cold it is much harder to adapt to than you would expect. We have not seen much damage from a hurricane season for such a long time that many people here were unprepared for these events. Before Charley the only other hurricane besides Donna to do significant damage here was Andrew and most of the damage then was caused in South Florida, but it was category 4. The one we just came through was only a category 2 and to create the amount of damage that it has was largely unavoidable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts