The Nissan Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owners of the Altima Hybrid please respond. I just bought mine with 45K. The battery is covered 10/100 so as of right now I am not worried. But about 3 years from now when I have 98K on it should I sell it? Will the hybrid battery last much longer? What is the average life span? Thanks.

I drive roughly 20-25K a year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
EDIT: SEE POST # 52 FOR ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION (for future reference)

Being that not many of us have NAHs, I also have not been able to find much info on this. That being said, many NYC taxis and police cars are NAH and I've personally been in one w over 170k miles (of stop and go obviously in NYC) with no problems.

Most of these batteries are made to go over 200k from what I've researched

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a very good point. I was just in NYC last month and saw at least 20 NAH taxi cabs as well as police cars. If they only lasted 100K then why would they be buying them. How do you like yours so far? I love mine. 37 MPG on the average. If I baby it I can get 41.3 MPG. I also drive 20 miles one way to work on the highway. But stuck in traffic 70% of the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i love mine--but unfortunately i'm not getting the same mileage as you are. 95% of my driving is highway...so I'm more along the lines of 30-31 mpg...but who cares i get a monthly car payment and reimbursed per mile for my job!

i'm lowered on eibachs, have lightwerkz projectors, a sub in front of my glovebox powered by a pdx-5 with no complaints (creeping up on 30k on the car, bought at 4k).

issues/bugs i've noticed:
- sometimes after driving on gasoline for a very long time and a long hybrid battery charge (from say braking while coming down a hill) coming to a complete stop...it will go into EV mode at 40mph as its supposed to, but then when i come to a complete stop the gas motor kicks back on and stays on. i've found that if you roll forward, hit the gas just a little bit, you can kick it back into EV mode
- the LRR tires that we have suck--as all stock tires. not gonna last you more than 30k miles.
- 0W20 sucks
- when first starting the car it starts in EV, then goes to gas within I'd say 7-10 seconds. sometimes if you're in gear and on the brake--i get some weird ass vibration. i've learned to start the car, and wait for the gas motor to kick on for at least 10-15 seconds before putting in gear.

AND THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WHICH HAS NO ANSWER!

Go ahead and jam on your brakes. it will sound like you are about to drop the tranny!

As a few different dealerships have told me..."DON'T WORRY"

WELL....its hard not to worry when you have that sound coming from your brakes. i immediately had this looked at by a few dealers and none had an answer for me. they said it has something to do with the eCVT.

They each let me drive 2-3 different NAHs and the second I jammed on the brakes...same sound.

Sofar in 30k miles I've really had to get on the brakes about 5 times...and each time the sound that comes from the car actually accentuates the stress on the situation at hand.

I pray that I never have a ball roll into the street and I go to step on it and nothing happens...

·
Registered
166 Posts
oh- and in the past month i've been occasionally losing all power to my stock head unit. i have a feeling its a loose connection from the EQS i had a stereo shop install for me. haven't had a chance to bring it up to them to have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The battery life depends greatly on the battery and type of driving you do. As the batteries lose their ability to hold electricity the motor will turn on more often to recharge them.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But how much is too much engine time? Woody the ICE starting 7-10 seconds after a cold start up is normal. It does not happen once the car is warmed. I have locked up my brakes several times to get a feel for it after driving a GTP for the past 4 years. Nothing abnormal. MPG is also directly related to driving habits. Depends upon how heavy your foot is. I drive 20 miles one way on the highway. Sometimes traffic is bad and sometimes not. If there is no traffic its a 30 minute ride. Most of the time it takes about 1.5 hours to get home. I am in EV Mode through traffic. I also do not take off in a hurry so I can try and stay in EV mode. Tire wear is another driver related item. Its not the cars fault. Tire pressure needs to be checked once a week. 35 cold which means if you have not driven the vehicle. Once you go over 1 mile then add 4 lbs. I have 45K with the OE tires. Rotating them every other oil change is a must. Rotating them every oil change is better. I made a set of tires last 80K. Sounds to me like your driving your vehicle very hard. Either way your MPG is still better then a plain ICE Altima. I just drove home from my girl friends. I reset my MPG gauge and drove 20 miles home. When I got home I was averaging 37.3 MPG. That was 5 miles of city driving and 15 highway. There is a very long road I take to get home. Speed limit is 40 MPH. If I stay right at 39 MPH and I keep the vehicle in EV for the entire 2 mile length of the road. Also if you do a lot of highway driving and did prior to purchasing a hybrid then maybe you should not have bought it. Hybrids do best around town.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Love my NAH.
45K miles.
Stock tires are ready to be tossed. But, I inflate them to 42psi.
I get all the same "quirks" Woody mentioned.
I'll be trading in for the Leaf within a year...

Eph

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
42 PSI...............Why on earth would you over inflate your tires? Is that cold or hot pressure? If thats cold that means when you drive more then a mile your tires are @ 46 PSI. Most of what Woody stated is normal behavior for a hybrid. Understanding what is normal and what is not is the first step. What is your average MPG? I got 37.7 MPG this morning on my way to work.

The Leaf is a bad move unless you have a second vehicle. A Leaf should not be your primary means of transportation.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Some people inflate their tire to a higher PSI because it'll give them a little better gas milage. What the MFG specifies as the right PSI isnt necessarily what will be the tire specs or give the best milage. but it's a trade off. If Cephraim wants to go electric I'd honestly recommend the Tesla S model if he wants something practical. More expensive yes but is a really a good bang 4 the buck considering you can get up to a 300 mile range, thats what I would get IMHO.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is written on the door is what Nissan puts for the best ride. Or any can manufacture. That is cold tire pressure. But if you inflate your tires to 42 PSI cold then when they are hot they are over inflated by Nissan standards and by the tire manufacture. My tires are rated at 44 PSI max. Which means cephraim tires are 2 PSI over inflated by the tire specs and 5 PSI over Nissan specs. You will not gain MPG that way.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
True, I know that. just saying thats why some people do it on purpose. did not know the specs for the tires, he should deflate them some then to prevent them from possibly blowing on him.

·
Registered
166 Posts
But how much is too much engine time? Woody the ICE starting 7-10 seconds after a cold start up is normal. It does not happen once the car is warmed. I have locked up my brakes several times to get a feel for it after driving a GTP for the past 4 years. Nothing abnormal. MPG is also directly related to driving habits. Depends upon how heavy your foot is. I drive 20 miles one way on the highway. Sometimes traffic is bad and sometimes not. If there is no traffic its a 30 minute ride. Most of the time it takes about 1.5 hours to get home. I am in EV Mode through traffic. I also do not take off in a hurry so I can try and stay in EV mode. Tire wear is another driver related item. Its not the cars fault. Tire pressure needs to be checked once a week. 35 cold which means if you have not driven the vehicle. Once you go over 1 mile then add 4 lbs. I have 45K with the OE tires. Rotating them every other oil change is a must. Rotating them every oil change is better. I made a set of tires last 80K. Sounds to me like your driving your vehicle very hard. Either way your MPG is still better then a plain ICE Altima. I just drove home from my girl friends. I reset my MPG gauge and drove 20 miles home. When I got home I was averaging 37.3 MPG. That was 5 miles of city driving and 15 highway. There is a very long road I take to get home. Speed limit is 40 MPH. If I stay right at 39 MPH and I keep the vehicle in EV for the entire 2 mile length of the road. Also if you do a lot of highway driving and did prior to purchasing a hybrid then maybe you should not have bought it. Hybrids do best around town.
Dude-I'm not trying to be confrontational but the way you come across is that you are omniscient and that you're talking down to the Rest of the nissanclub community.

1- I know how to get the best mileage I can from my car in response to heavy foot etc. I don't jackrabbit start etc but I do drive 80-85mph on the interstate which is why my mpg is lower (air drag)
2- it is well known on here that the contiprocontact tires are junk. Reference tire rack.com if you don't take my word or it
3- being that you bought your car used, how are you positive that it is th only setof tires...or that the previous owner didn't have winter tires on for 6mo out of the year? You don't know that
4- if you're using the ecu mpg gauge--your numbers are way off. Do a manual calculation of miles by resetting trip gauge and the dividing by how many gallons you've used after top off and I can tell you that you're not getting 41mpg
5- I known that hybrids are best around town--but I bought mine used w 4k from a young kid who couldnt afford it and was upside down on his loan. Wasn't going to pass it up.
6- I known that the ice turns on at startup ... But mark my words there is a glitch that starts it unnecessarily when the afore mentioned happens

:soapbox: sorry for my rant--

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I know they are the OE tires because I was a technician for 20 years. There is a specific mark on OE tires. The was never any snow tires are the car either cause the gentleman who owned it works at the dealership. Also you do not need snow tires on an Altima Hybrid cause its 500 lbs heavier then a stock Altima. 30K on a set of performance tires is not that abnormal anyways. They are 60 series after all. No one is talking down to anyone. But its a fact that a hybrid was not designed with highway driving in mind. To get the most out of your hybrid city driving is best. Why do you think NYC taxi's and the NYPD are using Altima Hybrids in the city. And yes I do my own calculations for MPG and also reference to the dash. My first FULL tank lasted my 670 miles. The ICE will start for various reasons. All beyond your control. There is no fault in the system or else your SES light would be on or other warning lights. The fact that mine does the same proves that its a normal characteristic. By the an open forum. Whatever you post is subjected to public criticism. If you do not like what someone has to say then do not bother posting. If you have so many complaints about your AH then why have you kept it for 26K? You claim your tires need to be replaced. How many 32nds of tread is left on them? How is your alignment? When was the last time you had it checked? How often have you rotated your tires?

http://www.audittcca.com/help/faq/how-long-should-the-tires-last

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t39186-how_long_do_performance_tires_last_.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not complaining bro--I'm saying what I've noticed with the car. You don't need to validate your statements by saying you've been a tech for 20 yrs--I've read it on other threads plenty of times.

I also didn't say that MY hybrid has a glitch. Rather all have a glitch. There is no changing it I know.

You haven't been driving your hybrid long enough to realize the little quirks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In fact-- I welcome your enthusiasm and expertise here...Having few good smart fellow hybrid owners to bounce ideas off of-- such as potentially adding a lightened flywheel from stollen or headers.

Obviously these aren't race cars but it's fun to make little mods to our cars to see performance gains...hence why ppl mod

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks. And as I have said in this thread and others, I was a GM technician for 20 years. Worked at 2 different dealerships. There isn't much I haven't seen. I did not spend much time with imports but I do have a lot of knowledge to bring forth. Every car has quirks. Some normal and some not. I have seen customers come in with a brand new Tahoe. They have a list of complaints 20 miles long and a vehicle with less then 10K on it. 90% of those complaints do not exist or are normal. Such as a knocking/clunking from the rear suspensions when putting into gear. Its normal gear back lash.

BTW................I am now a systems engineer. 40 years of flat rate and dirt,cut up hands was enough.

A 4 cyl cannot have headers. It can however have a header. Lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
So- any ideas for getting the transitions from EV to EV+ICE to be smoother? Could a grounding kit help? I highly doubt Nissan would skimp on something so simple to make the notorious transition more seemless?

Could the lightened flywheel potentially also help with this by lightening the rotational load on the engine?

I'm obviously no mechanic--so my technical skills are sub par but i am pretty handy for simple bolt on installs.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drove a Tahoe hybrid and a Prius. Both vehicles including the Altima have a noticeable vibration/clunking when transitioning from ICE to EV. The Tahoe does not even use a flywheel. It has a very large stator in it. Nothing abnormal. When a normal ICE starts up the engine vibrates. Correct? As far as a flywheel a hybrid does not have a normal flywheel. Never mind a CVT. So finding an after market one is impossible. Read up on hybrids and cvt's. You will learn a lot. As far as your MPG............Well thats normal also. The NAH is rated at 35 city/33 highway. Keep in mind that there is a +/- 3 MPG on any vehicle. So your 30-31 MPG is not abnormal. Especially since your on the highway a lot. Buying a hybrid is not like buying a normal gas engine. You have to understand how it works to know what is normal and what is not.

Here is an great article for you to read up on.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.