The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well my good ole continentals have been hydroplaning me all over the roads lately and I am lucky the Alty hasnt been totalled yet. Because of this I am buying new tires ASAP...i need tires that handle water well LET ME KNOW PLEASE My tire size is 225/60/16. A friend of mine got some Toyo SPectrum Touring and they "look" like that handle water well and he says they do but I figure that I may get good advice or more help from other altima.net members. Please let me know and thanks. Oh by the way performance is important but wet road handline is the most important...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i thought that (speeding) was the case, but lately I have been driving slower in the rain. The problem is that the interstate I am always on for the drive between Jackson and New Orleans (I-55) likes to create little ponds so anyone driving on them is just hitting all this standing water and hydroplaning right over them. Even when it isnt that bad my car just goes whichever way it wants and I cant control anything. It has never done this on any past cars I have owned and I am pretty convinced it must be the tires....

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
check the treads and see how much you got. i'm assuming the ones that came with your SL were general all season touring radials.

when i drive on the hwy during or after the rain, i always try to drive in the tracks the car in front leaves.

·
autocross king
422 Posts
pn my first gen i had a set of yok's on my steelies because i had the same problem. i beleive they were the h4's..................... my bad, they are the a550h. i just ran down stairs. they solved the problem quite well. they are not a full out performance tire. but they still handle pretty well and are really comfy on the street. they are 15's but im sure they make them in your size.

jack

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Go back to the dealership and complain!
Take a printout of that survey and show them.
Tell them how unsafe it is.
Then call Nissan customer service and yell at them a bit if the dealership does jack!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might have to do that (complain to the dealership), but I really dont think it will get me very far. Every 2002 that they made came with these continentals or turanza'a and well both suck. So if they replace my tires then I am sure they will get a lot more owners wanted their tires replaced too which they really wont like....

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
If you need all season, The Dunlop SP5000 and BFgoodrich KDWS are the way to go. The SP5000s might be more comfortable cause the KDWS are more performance oriented. But the KDWS will grip better.

·
Registered
662 Posts
what a great way to save money and screw us over huh.
Be glad you never had the chance to drive on the OE Michelin tires Honda put on some off their cars. Holy crap were they terrible in the rain. At full tread depth too!!

The Dunlop SP5000 and BFgoodrich KDWS are the way to go.
Since you're in the deep south, the S (snow) part of the KDWS is probably not nessessary. Get the KDW. I have not personally experienced them, but the people I know who have said they were fantstic in the wet. I know that's 3rd-hand information to you though.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts