The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Who's Next?
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mechanic had told me with all the mods i have i would for sure 100% fail the smog test only. but of course most mechanics know a crooket place, so he told me for $200 he would all i needed was to give this place my miles and the DMV documnet they sent me and i would pass. so now i can go ahead and take of my cat and just have straight pipe 2'25in piping with performance muffler. i already have the stillen header. what do you think? sounds good?:confused: :D

·
4,020 Posts
$200 is a lot of money to dish out just to make your car pass. In NYS we need our cars inspected every year...so that would suck if I had to do that every year to get mine to pass, but then again, we have very little emission testing here.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Without catalytic converter you are poisoning everyone else including small children
Fool, it's there to protect yourself from fumes that will cause cancer.

Put it back on dude! It's also illegal

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
altima965 said:
Without catalytic converter you are poisoning everyone else including small children
Fool, it's there to protect yourself from fumes that will cause cancer.

Put it back on dude! It's also illegal
Well comerade, I see that being banned has done nothing to correct your manners and arrogance. Calling the guy a "Fool" is not very nice. Also, you still continue to spout off about that which you apparently know nothing about. Poison small children??? :lol: Cancer??? :rolleyes: So, everyone who drove/was around cars the 60 years or so before the mid-70's when cats came on the scene has been poisoned and has cancer? Whatever... Once again I'll refer you to the FACTS:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter1.htm

Sorry for the distraction altimax95...

I'm confused by your post. The title says you passed the smog test, but inside you're asking about paying $200 to pass using this under-the-table method. Did you already pass your smog test (with your cat still on) - or are you saying you're guaranteed to pass it now by paying for this crooked method? I'm curious what mods you have done that would cause you to fail your smog test. I don't think just having a header would cause you to fail. What else do you have? Is it possible your mechanic is getting a kick-back from the smog crook he wants you to pay $200 to? Just a thought... but maybe you should get a second opinion - or just go ahead and try the test and see if you pass.

Now, here I'm honestly asking - because, being new to Altimas, I don't know: How much HP can you pick up in an Altima by loosing the cat? Is it significant? I know that on my last car ('96 Mustang Cobra), a good pair of performance cats was almost as good as an "off-road" (no cats) exhaust. The stock cats (there were FOUR of them!!!) were very restrictive, but I bought a Bassani 'X' pipe with two high-flow cats - and gained about 15 HP - and remained legal. People who went with NO cats didn't gain much more - maybe 2-3 more HP if any - which is insignificant IMO when your making close to 300 at the wheels. This was proved many times over by dyno results posted on "The Corral" Mustang website.

So, I guess my point is... if you don't have much to gain by removing your cat, stay legal and leave it on there (or get a high-performance one if they exist for Altimas) and pass you test legally for much less than $200 - oh... and you wont be poisoning small children. ;)

If you CAN gain a lot of HP by losing the cat - (and hi-po cats aren't available for the Altima), then I guess it's up to you if you want to pay this guy $200 every time you have to be tested and if you want to risk getting caught with an illegal exhaust. Totally your call.

Good Luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts