The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a used 1998 Altima, 5-speed transmission. I am very pleased with the car but I have a couple of questions and concerns

1- is-it normal that the clutch pedal is rather stiff ?

2- Shifting is stiff too, sometime it takes force to put into gear, some time it does not go easily into gear and I have to put the stick back in neutral and try more than one time.

apparently it is normal on these models, does any one else experienced the same behaviour?

P.S: I had it inspected and the mechanics said everything runs strong. I am just wondering if it is a normal behaviour for the Altima. I have read a few posts on the internet and apparently it is a problem called imprecise gearbox. I have driven many Toyotas and WV but never experienced that before.

·
Registered
318 Posts
well a friend of mine has the same type of problem with his mustang the only leson i can teach you from his shifting is to make 1st easyer clear 2nd

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
all sounds normal to me...my 99 was the same way (or is...)

clutch was stiff...and if you need to get into 1st or Reverse and you cant, either
1. go to second than 1st or R or
2. go to neutral, let the clutch out, tap the gas, let the RPMs drop a tad, and try again

usually one of these works for me...

good luck with your car, mines been great! :)

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
Clutch is supposed to be stiff,its a hydro clutch,not cable.The shift motion is also notchy,if your used to a Honda/Toyota clutch and shifting,your in for a suprise.

Soc_monki is right about 1 and R.The manual tells you about the reverse issue,but I havent really ever had an issue with 1st.The only time you should be locked outta first is if your above 5 miles an hour and trying to downshift into 1st.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
yea, forgot to add it was a hydro clutch...my old Honda was a cable...easy as hell to push in...shifting was smooth as butter.
nissans (or Altimas...) are notchy, which isnt a bad thing when you get used to it. you can feel it go into gear (or not) so its good in a way.

and if you are over 5 MPH and want to go into first, youre going to have to have the car in neutral, let the clutch out, hit the gas clutch in and go into 1st. ive done it before, just dont be over 30 MPH or good bye engine ;) actually, you should never have to do it unless you auto-x or anything like that where you need 1st gear...so just disregard my advice LOL

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yeh everything souns fine to me also. good luck with the car and welcome to the boards ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts