The Nissan Club banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Da Shiznit
1,117 Posts
I configured this Dell For 2058 before Tax and Shipping....
Module Description Product Code Sku Id
Dimension XPS Pentium® 4 Processor 550 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB) M348H [221-5483] 1
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition WHXP [313-7222][462-4610][412-0688][463-2282][420-4834][420-4927] 11
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M) 1GB5 [311-3766] 3
Keyboard Dell Quietkey® Keyboard QK [310-1582] 4
Monitors FREE UPGRADE! 19 in E193FP Flat Panel Display 19FREE [463-4354] 5 <<<<<------------------- Free LCD, If you don't want it sell for a few hundred
Video Card 256MB PCI Express™ x16 Nvidia® GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card 256GT68 [320-4077] 6<<<<<<<<<<<----- PCI Express
Hard Drive 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10000RPM) 74S [341-0990] 8<<<<<<<<<----------- Super fast HD
Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices 3.5 in Floppy Drive FD [340-1927] 10
Mouse Dell 2-button scroll mouse SM [310-1871] 12
Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet IN [430-0742] 13
Modem No Modem Requested N [313-3607] 14
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 AAREAD [412-0705] 15
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive 48COMBO [313-2598][420-4919] 16
Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy™2 (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capability SBA2X [320-0667] 17
Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer D5650 [313-2246] 18
Productivity Software WordPerfect®, Powerful Word Processing COREL [412-0701] 22
2nd Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) 80SB [341-0991] 23<<<<<<-------------- 2nd HD also SATA

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
go with the AMD processor, its def ontop of the intel processor esp for gaming. which i believe is what you are looking for.

this is the very reason why alienware chose amd rather than intel.

also, before when Tech TV used to be on, they liked both processors but just like you said yourself, AMD chip is way more advanced and its far superior for gaming purposes. and yes, you will notice a great difference.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Chris said:
With that logic, we should all know th eins and outs of a TV, refridgerator, microwave, how to build furniture, how to lay tiles, how to run electric wires, how to repair cars, etc etc etc... Thsi is why we have mechanics, IT technicians, repairmen, etc. Not everyone needs to knwo how everything they use works.

I'm sure alientalt has no need to learn hwo to build a pc.

I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer kind of person, ya know.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Between the PC you made alienalt and the one fubar made, I'd choose the Alienware. Both are good computers but here's why I'd pick the alienware:
-64 bit cpu
-you know the mobo brand
-you know the psu brand
-alienware customer service > dell service
-better looking case

The Dell is faster but the 100 bucks wins me on the looks.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
AlienAlt said:
See that is a good answer......no complaining about others opinions....I am like 90% ready to order this thing.....

I am gonna use my 19" crt monitor for a while and let LCD's get better.....and cheaper as I hear that is the trend now.....more developing and lower prices in the future...
ok, from a kind of owner of an Alienware Area 51 (the Fiance has one! in purple...go figure...) i have to say they are second to none. ALL the components are top-notch quality, no part was spared. the inside is CLEAN. everything in its own space, nicely screwed down and secured. the documentation you receive is amazing...ALL specs of your computer neatly bundled, owners manual, owner card, everything in one place. you get ALL cds to ALL software and drivers that you order (not just "backup" CDs). you get a Recovery system DVD that reformats and reinstalls everything Factory fresh in 20 minutes (yes i tested it!). everything with the Alienware is flawless! no problems...i even called tech support and got an ENGLISH speaking person! also havent had any problems out of it. it took nearly a month and a half to get it after ordering, because of all the tests they do on the thing to make sure its gonna be good when it gets to you. not to mention the use of quality parts and you know who they use...not some cheapo taiwan knockoff brand...

my mom has a Dell...its ok, but compared to the quality of Alienware (not only computer, but tech support) there is no contest. for one, Dell doesnt send you the actual discs but copies to most of the stuff. not much documentation, defeinetly not the benchmark tests, etc. that they dont run (like Alienware). call tech support and you get either Mexicans or Indians...never have i gotten someone that spoke good english at Dell...how did they get a good rating? hell if i know. i dont even know who made some of the stuff in there, cuz unless i open it up and look, the documentation doesnt tell me...

ok people...yes you CAN build a PC for less, granted. but for the quality and care you get from Alienware, the extra cost, to me at least, is well worth it! you get an awesome computer with an awesome company backing it (with english speaking people answering the phones...).

AlienAlt, i say get the Alienware...you WONT be disappointed at all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to buy an Alienware rig, but the cost was rather high. I took the spec sheet for their rig and matched it with components purchased separately. I built a high power gaming rig for about half what Alienware was asking. I had never built one before and it was fun....now I have built several for friends too. :)

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
AngryBot said:
In this day and age, you have to know about computers. If you don't well then you're an idiot and at some point you'll realize that you need to know something about them.

Welcome to the 21st century asshole. I bet this guy even knows something about computers.
bwahahaha, u think after building ur own computer and u know everything about computers huh. lmao. today's system can be put together by retarded monkeys. following instruction in a manual is not learning.

i've rolled my own since 94. i like building my own, but thinking prebuild system sucks is nothing but an ignorant and elitist attitude. especially after PAYING for ur software, home built system is not cheaper. so dude, just stfu.

·
2,446 Posts
chiadog said:
bwahahaha, u think after building ur own computer and u know everything about computers huh. lmao. today's system can be put together by retarded monkeys. following instruction in a manual is not learning.

i've rolled my own since 94. i like building my own, but thinking prebuild system sucks is nothing but an ignorant and elitist attitude. especially after PAYING for ur software, home built system is not cheaper. so dude, just stfu.
:lol: :eek:wned:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
if you are gona build your own system, you should build a dual processor system. thats worth it in my opinion. and thats something a monkey could not put together.

soc_moki said:
call tech support and you get either Mexicans or Indians...never have i gotten someone that spoke good english at Dell...
you need to stop pressing 1 for se habla espanol.

·
Banned
400 Posts
chiadog said:

I didn't say you'd be an expert after building your computer, but it gives you a better knowledge of how it works and a better understanding of what's what. You completely took what I said out of context. :rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 96 Posts