The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I stop :(!??! I didn't know it could hurt my car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stop. Don't risk it. getting gas into the evap canister and/or charcoal canister with gas could throw a code. Common issue with some Honda when over-filling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stop. Don't risk it. getting gas into the evap canister and/or charcoal canister with gas could throw a code. Common issue with some Honda when over-filling.
Thanks, I'm going to stop now - I hope I didn't damage my car too much :(

·
Super Moderator
2,585 Posts
I stop when the pumps stops. I can never get it to be an even number anyway. And I'm so bad at it that it's never $60.01. It's $60.03. Who misses the standard miss mark by 2 more?!? Me. That's who.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to stop now - I hope I didn't damage my car too much :(
No "damage" until you get a code. No true damage just low emission standards aren't being met.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

I typically stop when the pumps shuts off and then "round it up" to the next 50 cent point. Never had an issue doing that with any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Me neither .

·
Registered
21 Posts
You stop when the hand pump stops pumping though you could add just a little bit more to round off the dollar amount (i.e. $20.03 to $20.10).

No need to top off that much.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I need 16-18 gallons I stop at like 15 and shake the car. I've had this car need 2 more gallons before. I got in hit the start button and the gauge didn't make it up to the F. Turned it off got out and put more in. So I started doing it every time. That said I drive 100-130miles each day and the gas tank doesn't stay topped off; in other words I wouldn't want to top off in the cool of the morning and drive it 1 block, park the car and let it warm up 10-20°F while I work 8 hours. That would cause the expanding gasoline to get pushed in it's liquid phase to a canister that is meant to take in fumes as the fuel heats and expands.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've filled my '14 Altima 94 times in 92,000 kms. I top it off every time. Sometimes as much as 7 liters, which is nearly 2 gallons. I haven't damaged the car by topping it off, and it makes such a difference to the range you can travel on each tank, so I'll continue to top it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts