The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D Hi All.
Last month I drove my 95 Altima from Alabama to California. It's a GXE with a manual transmission. Total trip milage is about 2200 miles.

Well, car only has 84K so it did fine, of course. What 's the gas milage it got?
It got 40 miles to the gallon. Straight!
Of course need to take in consideration that it's a 5 speed and that I was going only 55MPH! On I 40.. :p :D
Here is how I measured! I fill it up till gas starts coming out of the filler neck. Then I go and drive it straight for about 4 hours, stop at another gas station and fill it up till the neck again. So, let's say I look at the pump and it shows I pumped 5 gallons, then I see by the odometr it covered exactly 200 miles. 200/5=40
I did this about 6 times and always got 40 MPG best result. 37 when I had to swirl around Little Rock once.

That's the truth about 4cyl, KA24DE. Don't push it and it will be very economical. I don't think it can get any better. The car was loaded to the cealing - i was MOVING!
Sometimes oil matters and number of cold starts... Well. the oil is Castrol 10w30. No cold starts, just straigh cruizing west on I40.

Here are some pics of the car.

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/_spidometr.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/mashiny2.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/mashina1.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/mashiny.jpg
the black one is my 85 Toyota Celica, which I took around the country this summer.

Here is by the way my younger brother's '95 626, that he "modyfied"

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/glebina_mashina.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/altima4.JPG

Here is how speedometr looks on 85 Celica

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/misha18male4/argus/_shitok_priborov.JPG

:D

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Victor. Different pump will click at different level, therefore you will not know exactly how much gas was used!

When you fill it up untill it starts coming out, next time you can not put more or less gas.

Please, think before you pist...

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
Victor. Different pump will click at different level, therefore you will not know exactly how much gas was used!

When you fill it up untill it starts coming out, next time you can not put more or less gas.

I think where Victor was going with that is that overfilling your tank can damage some emissions-related part. I haven't researched it myself yet, but I saw it posted on here somewhere. The part is some charcoal-filled canister that filters out gas fumes that vent from your tank or something? Anyway... filling your tank to the point of overflowing will send raw fuel into this part and ruin it - or so they say. If someone knows for sure (Rev?) please enlighten us. I quit when the pump shuts off about the second time - so I'm not worried about it.

It is definitely true that some pumps cut off at different points than others - so that can give you an inaccurate MPG calculation for a single tank of gas, but it'll work out if you calculate the average MPG over several tankfulls.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you are absolutely right - it really is bad to fill it up that full.
I only did it for the test.

Another thing happens when the tank is overfilled is simply it washes all the dirst from the rubber hose, while you can only gain a quart or two extra fuel.

I thought Victor meant that, but the issue was about MPG... :)

:embarasse

Someone mentioned 28 mpg, that's what EPA estimates Altima at - 29 on the highway.

My celica also got 41 best , it's same size 2.4 22REC - sweet engine... got 244000 miles on now... and runs great, idles steady at 700, does not use oil, doesn't smoke, runs quite... Great engines those were... Besides, it's an automatic.
I only paid $50 for the whole car, which only needed from brakes worked on :p
The guy was moving from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Florida for the winter, and wanted to empty his car lot...

Trick: how to buy a cheap car... come to the sales person and ask if he has any "junk he wants to get rid of"... he will automotically drop a lot of money, instead if u asked "how much u want for that one?..."... The guy right before me bough 87 corolla for $250 5 speed... not a bad car either.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
My celica also got 41 best , it's same size 2.4 22REC - sweet engine... got 244000 miles on now... and runs great, idles steady at 700, does not use oil, doesn't smoke, runs quite... Great engines those were...
I used to have an '83 Celica GTS Coupe - with a 22RE. Absolutely BULLETPROOF engine! Too bad the rest of the car finally fell apart around it - rust outside, many of the bells & whistles died inside, etc. It was just plain worn out. It went 200K+ before that happened though. The engine was still solid though. It's probably still running somewhere.

Oh, I routinely get 30-31 MPG on my 90-100 mile round-trip daily commute (roughly 85% hwy/15% city) in my '99 Altima 5-speed. I have been driving it conservatively too - no hard acceleration, below 70 MPH on the highway (about 1/3 of the way down a 55 MPH 2-lane hwy at about 60 MPH) - using the cruise MOST of the time. I'd love to know how to squeeze 40 MPG out of it, but I don't see it happening. Got any secrets to share?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
The most accurate way to test would be:

Empty tank, fill with a set amount of fuel, drive, when near empty remove fuel from tank and measure, then calculate MPG

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:

and

inoplanetyanin said:
Yes, you are absolutely right - it really is bad to fill it up that full.
I only did it for the test.

Another thing happens when the tank is overfilled is simply it washes all the dirst from the rubber hose, while you can only gain a quart or two extra fuel.

I thought Victor meant that, but the issue was about MPG... :)
I wasn't talking about the MPG.. I was talking about the fact you are overfilling. The whole purpose of the clicks is to allow some air in the tank. It shouldn't be completely full. If it is, over time you will see a nice little reapir bill..

Here's Chris' post on his experience.

Chris said:
Yup, The "vent control valve." Mine busted and i could only put a 1/2 gallon of gas into the car at a time. $250 repair :( But it was my fault it busted, i would put in soooo much more gas after the first click and i guess after a year of abuse, it just went. I think the engine light came on too, i'm not 100% positive though.

I'm aware that some pumps click differently. Some not at all (unfortunately). However, most times when they click off, you are gonna notice a fraction change in MPG. not enough to warrant damage .

so don't come in here with 25 posts registered this month and try to talk shit to me.

and Poe99SE... you are talking bout the EVAP canister. Lookunder the rear bumper area on the driver side. See the black box... that's the EVAP canister. from a site: "Its(EVAP's) purpose was to capture raw fuel vapors (hydrocarbons) from the tank and carburetor bowl before they could escape into the air."

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Po99 SE
U said you are getting 31.
I ve read on many professional sites and actually saw some graphs that say the best gas milage is accired under 60mph.
u can find this here

www.fueleconomy.gov

There are bunch of other things that affect gas milage. Good spark plugs, good air filter, good tire pressure, good alignment, good oxygen sensor and so forth...

Al of this I have replaced on my car... Maybe that's why . Plus I really kept it on 55 - also on cruise control.
The windows must be up as well , lights off as alternator takes some power off, ac off... I don't know if second gen. is significantly different from first in terms of gas milage...
It's about 60 lbs heavier, but said to have better aerodynamics and engine is originally tuned in such a way that it is more fuel efficient. So probably overall condition is the key factor.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
carbon said:
You'll get better gas milage w/ out cruise control
Where did you get this information from?

c/c can maintain a constant speed and as long as you're not speeding you can get great MPG

·
_________
312 Posts
coach said:
Where did you get this information from?

c/c can maintain a constant speed and as long as you're not speeding you can get great MPG
It sure is your right not to believe me.
I just don't feel like proving anything to anyone.

·
_________
312 Posts
^^yeah, way to go you can call me that too.(short and clear, perfectly reflects your level of intelligence).I din't mean to offend anyone, but I guess you're right I'm just a dumb ass, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to justify that

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
All I did was ask a simple question, where did you get that information from? Is that so hard? I don't see how having c/c off will improve your MPG. I originally wanted to learn about this, but yah, you are a dumb ass!

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
Po99 SE
There are bunch of other things that affect gas milage. Good spark plugs, good air filter, good tire pressure, good alignment, good oxygen sensor and so forth...

Al of this I have replaced on my car... Maybe that's why . Plus I really kept it on 55 - also on cruise control.
The windows must be up as well , lights off as alternator takes some power off, ac off... I don't know if second gen. is significantly different from first in terms of gas milage...
It's about 60 lbs heavier, but said to have better aerodynamics and engine is originally tuned in such a way that it is more fuel efficient. So probably overall condition is the key factor.
Yeah, I'm aware of all those factors that influence MPG - but given that my car is E.P.A. rated at 30 MPG Hwy - and I'm getting 30-31 on average, I'm assuming that everything is in pretty good shape. 40 MPG just sounds way high - even if you do lock the cruise on 55 MPH on a perfectly flat road all day. I'm not calling you a liar, just trying to figure out how that is possible. I'd love to be able to do it. Maybe you were going downhill for most of that tank - or - had a strong tailwind or something?

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
carbon said:
You'll get better gas milage w/ out cruise control
:bullshit:

If you're gonna come in here and make a statement that just defies logic like that, you better be prepared to back it up with facts/evidence if you want to be taken seriously. To say "I just don't feel like proving anything to anyone." is a cop-out.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
ACtually guys I can see c/c killing off a little fuel economy. It doesn't compensate for hills etc. Say I set mine at 100, now I approach a hill whjat happens? The car slows down THEN the pedal hits the mat and your back up to speed. Where as when your the one driving you can compensate for the hill and slowely accelerate a little bit before you get there. Not a big difference, but next time your in the car with it on watch the tach and speed...it goes up and down.....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts