The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down a street, one lane in each direction, in a moderate hurry. Speed limit was 30. This van in front of me is only doing 25. I honk, but to no avail. I am beginning to get irritated after 5 minutes of this. Finally, at a red light, he takes a right, but just as he does so, a semi turns onto my street, right in front of me. This guy is only doing 20. Ten minutes of complete frustration later, he finally gets out of my way at another red light, leaving only a Cadillac in front of me.

Well, light turns green, and the Caddy doesn't move. I honk. The Caddy driver lifts off the brake, so the car starts rolling, but doesn't accelerate. I am in a frenzy at this point. I floor it in the intersection and pass the Caddy up on its right, just as the Caddy realizes what's going on and starts to accelerate as well. I realize the Caddy is accelerating so I slam it into 2nd and my tires chirp.

At the point of the 2nd gear chirp, I was right alongside the Caddy, exactly in the middle of the intersection. As I pass the Caddy, I see, out of the corner of my eye, a police car waiting at the red light on the street perpendicular to ours.

I immediately knew I was screwed. I finished the pass and got in front of he Caddy, just as the lights and sirens went on. I was already doing about 50, but I slowed down immediately and pulled over within a few feet of the intersection. Behind me was a Golf (he had obviously also overtaken the Caddy), then the Caddy, then the cop.

The Golf passes me up immediately as I pull over. The Caddy was still doing 5 mph, and the cop was honking at the Caddy to pull over. I didn't understand what the cop's rush was, as I was pulled over, waiting for the cop. The Caddy finally pulled over, and the cop was now directly behind me, still hard on the gas. I waved my arm out the window, kind of to say, "I'm here; I'm not running from you." But as he passed me, I could see that both cops were leaning forward in their seats, almost as if straining to see past the Golf that was in front of them.

The Golf pulled over, and they kept on going, chasing... nothing! There was no car in front of them. I stayed in my car, just looking at them in disbelief, watching them drive the next few blocks, then turn off their lights and sirens, and keep on going.

I pulled out from the space I was in, turned onto the first side street I could find, and drove the rest of the way home on the side streets!

I absolutely could not believe it!!! They were obviously after me, as I was at 6000 rpm and accelerating like a bat out of hell in their plain view, then even chirped my tires 5 ft from their front bumper! They were in no hurry before I did this. Their lights and sirens went on two seconds after I passed them. They turned off the lights and sirens a few blocks later. The only explanation I could find is that they knew I was ahead of the Golf, so they were still trying to find me in front of it, and didn't bother to think that I may have pulled over right away... EVEN though I was waving my left arm wildly at them, out the drivers window, letting them know where I was.

I didn't want to go after them, and consequently hid in the side streets because, having had numerous experiences with Chicago's finest, they probably would have arrested me for trying to run from them, even though I pulled over right away. They would have come up with some stupid crap like me trying to hide from them as they were passing by... which was not the case. I had my lights on, there was plenty of space in back of me for them to pull into, AND I was actually waving at them to stop.

The icing on the cake is that by the time I pulled out of my space, the Caddy was still in back of me. :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. Had they been bored, they would have arrested me and beat the shit out of me. Don't ask me how I know they do that around here. :(

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
That is some shit. I hate when people drive under the speed limit and you have nothing else but to wait behind them impatiently. I get so frustrated and that's when the road rage come out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I zoomed past them and immediately darted in front of the Caddy. They had no time to get a plate. Add to that the fact that my plate is a TN temp plate, and that mixes things up even more.

·
Nissan tech in training
5,700 Posts
maybe they got a call(hunched over to listen to the radio) and decided it had a better priority(like a fresh batch of KK donuts), and said **** it, and took off. or maybe the golf matched the description of a car who's driver is wanted on something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FASTima said:
Hopefully they didn't get your plates.
Read my responses after the original post about the plate bit.

Frea_Kanata: They weren't after the Golf, because they passed it up.

The whole thing took no more than 15 seconds.
0 - I'm frustrated
1 - I floor it
2 - accelerating
3 - chirp
4 - zip in front of Caddy
5 - Sirens come on
6 - I slow down
7 - I stop, Golf passes me up
8 - I wait for cop
9 - I see him hard on gas, start waving
10 - still waving
11 - he passes me up
12 - approaches Golf
13 - passes golf
14 - keeps going
15 - keeps going

·
DON'T!!! I'm watching you
2,795 Posts
/\ /\ /\ 15 steps and NONE of them can assure you they didn't get your plate #. All you need to see a plate # is 2 eyes and 2 seconds. Looks like they had both. I'm 99.9% certain they didn't get your plate not because of the reasons you listed, but just because they didn't want to.
You're a lucky man :cool:, like someone said, play lotto today :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those were meant to be seconds, not "steps"... as some of them repeat themselves. They might have had time to get the plate numbers, but no way they would have known it was a Tennessee tag. They may know plates by designs, but this was a temp... basically a piece of paper with Tennessee written really small at the top. They did not have two seconds to see the plates, either. Within a second of the chirp, I was in front of the Caddy. Also, the chirp was when I was right in front of them, so not even then could they see a plate. Only after I passed them, less than a second before I got in front of the Caddy, plus it looked like the Golf might have been hard on my tail if he squeezed in front of the Caddy as well. So the Golf could have further obstructed plate view.

On a side note, I was in a hit and run accident a while back where both parties left the scene of the accident (I chased the guy). The cops happened to witness the whole accident, chased me instead, thinking I was running, too. I was in their car and they were searching for the other car. They didn't get its plates, although it came to a complete stop right before their eyes.

Anyway, sorry for rambling... I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that there won't be a half dozen squad cars outside my apartment complex this evening when I get home! :p

AngryBot: It was dark out, but there were street lights on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts