The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I will be praying tonight, and I ask that any of you who beleive in prayer send one up for my mother, my family, and the people of Jamaica. I know you are all worried for our Florida people, but this storm is bigger and more powerful than Andrew or Hugo, and it is DEFINITELY hitting Jamaica, so if you could fit the 2.5 million people of my island into your prayers I would appreciate it.

Hurricane Ivan will be the biggest hurricane to ever to make a direct hit on Jamaica if it does not weaken signicficantly in the next 24hrs, which it seems unlikely to do. And it makes landfall on Friday morning, right at the doorstep of my mother's house.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
Jamaicans are tough people... If it doesn't kill them, it makes them stronger.

I got your back, waddy.

·
Unregistered User
676 Posts
I just checked the storm track, it looks like the eye will pass right over your Mom's house.... I'll say a prayer.

·
Who is your daddy ?
275 Posts
Don't believe in praying. But i definately wish them the best of luck, during the shitty weather that's coming up. Hope it'll go smooth for them.

You should keep frequent connection with her man (phone, e-mail, postal mail).

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ben,

With all due respect, I think I know a little bit more about Jamaica and hurricanes than you do.

Andrew wasn't a direct hit, and it was a category 4.

Gilbert was a direct hit 16 years ago, I was 10 years old, and it was only a category 3. And the country was DEVASTATED.

Exactly how do you prepare for category 5 man?

Jamaica is not prepared, NO COUNTRY can be prepared for a category 5 hurricane, you can just hope that the damage is not to extensive.

·
Unregistered User
676 Posts
Very few houses can survive a direct hit from cat-5 hurricane without extensive damage. Wooden structures offer very very poor protection against +150mph windspeeds.

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
By default all houses in Jamaica that are built to code are built with hurricane resistant techniques because Jamaica is smack in the middle of Hurricane Alley.

Most houses in Jamaica are built from concrete and steel. Usually what happens is the roofs get blown off, or caved in and the walls are left standing.

I'm listening to Jamaican radio right now, the eye is 450 miles away.......

All Air Jamaica airplanes will be leaving Jamaica tonight and the airports will close.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts