The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, my dealership had ONE. It was black, and had EVERY option. I was ecstatic. As I pulled off the lot, I was dumbfounded at how "floaty" the car was. I figured the suspension would be tighter, but it felt like I was in a bigger car...(which they ARE.) The shifter and clutch worked effortlessly, although I'd have preferred them both to be much stiffer, more sports-car oriented. But, the Altima is a four-door, so I let it slide. The steering wheel was placed MUCH better than the 93-01s, it actually came out far enough to be comfortable (since I need the seat all the way back, I usually find most steering wheels at full-arm's length.). The interior is quite pleasant. I knew it was no Lexus, but it was FAR BETTER than the current (old?) gens. The power: FUCK YEAH! It was bliss to drive with sooooooooo much new power under the hood! The exhaust (and the beautiful presence of a Y-Pipe) sounded harmonious at full-throttle. As we neared the last light before a mile and a half stretch, the salesman said, "Hey, you seem to know your shit, let her open. There's nothing for a while." Ummmmm. Okay. I didn't smoke the tires, but after a few yards I mashed it...Mashed it through 3rd and I was over a 100 in NO TIME. I shifted to 5th and slowed to 65, and gave it gas just to see what O/D had to offer. Sweet. Power in 5th, baby! As I got back to the lot, I spotted what will be my next car, though...

2002 Maxima GXE 5sp in the dark-blue metallic. Here's why:
Just for comparo, I asked the guy if I could take THAT one out. Immediately when I sat in, I could tell I was in the flagship sedan. Don't get me wrong; the interior of the new Altima is great, but no comparison to the Maxima. There was about the same amount of room, which was sufficient for my needs. The buttons, controls, and placement of the pedals were more strategically planned, and they outshone every aspect of the Altima's. The Maxima, even in GXE trim, felt MUCH more like a driver's car. The steering was more responsive, and the suspension communicated better with the road...giving me a far better feeling of confidence when tuning and changing lanes. I even got to open it up on the same stretch of road.

It's like when the younger sibling catches up in size and strength. You still always know who's older and wiser.

Out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice write up. I should mention the fact that the 2002 maxima no longer has a 5spd. Infact the GXE is only available in Auto tran. The 02 SE comes standard with a 6spd manual.

·
Registered
197 Posts
emax said:
Nice write up. I should mention the fact that the 2002 maxima no longer has a 5spd. Infact the GXE is only available in Auto tran. The 02 SE comes standard with a 6spd manual.
What are you doing here?! lol :p

·
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm an idiot. The one I drove was a 2001. D'oh!:D I just got used to talking about 02s here and there!

Still, I'd go with the Maxima, even with a few less Hp than the Altima. The new SE 6sp would be outta y range...but SWEET!

Out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm bored with no max.org! Well actually I really like a lot of things about the 02 Altima. I enjoy reading about what others think.

I still plan to get a 02 Maxima though. BTW what are you doing here? Hehe..

·
Registered
197 Posts
emax said:
I'm bored with no max.org! Well actually I really like a lot of things about the 02 Altima. I enjoy reading about what others think.

I still plan to get a 02 Maxima though. BTW what are you doing here? Hehe..
Ahhhh... Me, dad owns a 2001 Altima GXE. :) hehehe.

Well, I am waiting to see that 3.5L Altima on the road, I want to try to hand its ass to him.. :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
How cute a max.org reunion.. I have been here longer than both you! I used to have an alty... a 99 SE

Adam

·
10,560 Posts
Octane said:
It's like when the younger sibling catches up in size and strength. You still always know who's older and wiser.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I still think the new altimas interior is very cheap looking and feeling. I would def. take a 2000-2002 max over the new altima anyday.

·
they call me the butcher
2,098 Posts
ya some dealers are cool like that
they actually want to see what the car can
do.
when i was looking for my car almost all the dealers did
the rutine lisence got in the car take this road and this one
but i was looking at the 2001 celica gts and to
my surprize the dealer actually gave me the keys and said
"bring her back in 20" i was like whoa
so i took it cruizing doin like 100 on the highway and picked up