The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting tired if the I key system error message popping up on the dash.
Have 2015 Altima SV
Navigation and remote start.
I have changed the key fob battery in both fobs.
I have taken the negative battery terminal off and waited several minutes.
I have taken the vehicle to the dealer twice and no body can seen to tell me why. Last time dealer gave me a piece of paper and said there was some conflict with my phone. Hmm. I told him I did not even have the phone with me today and still popping up the error message. I am sick and tired if the dealership telling me there is nothing wrong. There is something wrong. Any suggestions are appreciated. Looking for help

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had similar trouble with my car intermittently not recognizing my key fobs even with new batteries in them.
I removed the negative battery terminal like you did to no avail.
Turns out the Nissan key fobs are fussy about exact voltage and using cheap off-brand batteries caused my issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back to the dealership the next day. Had appt for the tech to look at it. End of the day I went to the dealership. It sat all day. Nobody looked at it.
On top of that I had ask the dealership to install a new battery. They did not put a new battery in but said the positive terminal was loose. They replace it. Next day I opened the hood to confirm it was replace and tight. It was but the negative cable terminal was spinning loose. Can not believe they missed that. I fixed the loose negative terminal hoping the I Key error would stop. Nope. Still pops up. I have left the phone disconnected from the car and it still pops up an I Key error. Gotta be a solution. Still searching for help.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
371 Posts
I had the same thing happen to both my keys also. I tried this and it fixed my issue. "

Joined Oct 24, 2015
21 Posts
#14 9 months ago
There are two separate Nissan KeyFob issues that I have encountered.

Issue #1 : After replacing the keyfob battery you still get invalid key ID or no Key detected messages. Door request buttons also no longer work. Keyfob buttons to remotely open doors, etc typically still work. You can start the car by pressing the start button with the keyfob itself. (or by inserting it into the keyfob emergency start receptacle on some models)
Solution: Remove the backup door key from the keyfob. Enter the car and leave the keyfob inside. Press the start button twice (to cycle from OFF to ACC to ON). DO NOT Press the brake! Now exit the car leaving the Keyfob inside, but take the backup door key with you. Close the door and insert the backup door key into the door lock. Turn to the left to lock the drivers door. You'll hear the locking mechanism. Now turn the key to the right to unlock the door. Again, you'll hear the unlocking mechanism. You can now remove the door key and reenter the car. Push the start button one more time (don't touch the brake) to turn it to the OFF mode. The Invalid key ID messages should now be gone and everything functioning normally.

Issue #2 : This problem is basically the opposite of the above. Everything works normally except that none of the push button functions of the keyfob will work. Remote door lock, panic button, remote trunk release and remote start (if so equipped) do not function.
Solution: The ECU (main computer) must be rebooted with the keyfob inside the car. During a cold boot of the ECU the push button functions of the keyfob are re-programmed if it is inside the car. The easiest way to accomplish the cold reboot is to disconnect the main battery under the hood for a minute or two and then reconnect it. Be aware that disconnecting the main battery will erase the learned settings from the ECU, so the car may idle a little differently for the first few miles of driving. It will quickly return to normal.

If the battery is replaced in the keyfob before you start having intermittent problems, you typically won't have to do either procedure described above. However, if the voltage gets very low on the battery in your keyfob, the internal memory can become corrupted and replacing the battery alone may not bring it back to correct operation.

Finally: It has been reported that both keyfobs can be reprogrammed at once for either issue by leaving them both inside the car while performing either procedure described above. I've never had to do more than one keyfob at a time so I can't verify that, but it sounds like it should work"

·
Registered
667 Posts
If my keys and phone are in the same pocket, sometimes I will get the "No Key Detected" message.

If you are getting that message regularly, then the battery is probably bad or is going bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. I am at the dealership now. They are going to replace the battery. Hoping that takes care of it.
I know this is from 2019, but was wondering if the issue was ever resolved? My daughter's 2013 Altima is having similar issue. The battery connectors were corroded so I removed them to clean, and now, 'No key identified' and 'I Key System Error', with car not starting. So frustrating! I replaced FOB battery, removed and ohmed brake light switch, it's works fine with brake lights coming on when I press brake pedal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts