The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
No... in fact it doesn't.

The 2600 means that it has the performance (or better) of a P4 2.6ghz.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
AMD has had thermal protection for a while now.....not only does it have the thermal diode, the newer ones have the mobo shutdown feature also.

But that's one feature I never really cared about. Never had a CPU burn out on me and I fuss with it more than a regular user will in their lifetime.

·
How now brown cow?
3,865 Posts
PsyKoh said:
Never had a CPU burn out on me and I fuss with it more than a regular user will in their lifetime.
Werd, I've had fans go bad on them (I run my system 24/7) and the worse thing that happened was the system locked up.

Changed out the fan, and it was up and running.

Still got a Duron running from when a 650Mhz would cost you $90.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
I remember the time when you had to treat an AMD processor like it was a crystal vase and cracked cores were a common occurrence. Never cracked a core either.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
The system that I built for my sis is still running. AMD K6-3 400. 5 years and still running.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
I've been with AMD since my first system: a K6-200mhz. :D

Then I moved up to a TB 800 and now I sport the same setup as the TB 800 but with a TB 1.3 ( my friend had it laying around and gave it to me).

My next upgrade will be the AMD64. No doubt about it.

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
I own/have owned quite a few of each...currently I have 3 Intels and 3 AMD's, including an Athlon 64. I still personally prefer Intel procs. They just seem to have a different feel to them.....be it mental or not. I'll still buy AMD if it's a good deal, mostly just to tinker around/play games, but for my day to day work systems I stick to Intel's.

Just my .02......

·
Registered
146 Posts
everyone says that the amd's run too hot, I have never had a problem with the processor over heating. This last week my video card overheated and created all sorts of artifacts but the system kept running fine. For price/performance AMD seems to still be the best. The old amd's were kinda wierd with ram, if it wasn't the "right" brand it would BSoD all day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts