The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my altima but it sux and so does nissan'!!!!

I drive a 2001 GXE-L in Platinum Metallic (auto). It's my first car and I recieved on april 6...late birthday present. anyhow...within a month the stabilizer bar bushings came off and the bar rattled. took the car in and they sent me home until they recieve the parts they needed. took the car back in problem solved.

next the carpet by the rear passenger doors was coming off. took the car in and they sent me home until a new carpet arrived. took the car in again and they installed a new carpet.

next the carpet started to come out again and i took it in and the service manager told me to come back a week later. i took the car in and he sent it to apple auto glass for them to glue down the carpet.

next i realized that the car had about 15000 km and the gas mileage sucked. about 320km per tank. took it in and they said it was normal.

next the car started vibrating while idling in traffic in the drive gear. took it in and they sent me home for parts to arrive. came back and all they did was adjust the idle speed. what parts do they need for that??? anyhow the problem was not solved...a week later im back in the dealership and the shop foreman test drives the car and says that the power steering pump needs to be changed. they call me two weeks later and i get the pump changed...problem not solved...they call me back in and than they think that it is the power steering lines that are causing the vibreations. i go home and they order them....a month later the lines arrive and they change them...problem not solved. i complain and yet again im back in the dealership. they then think that it is the power steering hose causing the vibration. i ask what is the difference between the line and the hose. they say its the same thing. i ask why change it twice. they say the second one is an upgraded part and they didn't want me to know they were changing it twice. now my dad brings the car home and notices that the problem is still there. surprise surprise. and service is now closed for the day. that was this past wednesday. today i call the service manager and he asks me to bring the car in right away (3:30pm). i take the car in and he checks the idling right in the parking lot without driving the car. he goes i'll be back and he drives off with my car leaving me in the dealership. he comes back and says they have to make some adjustments and it'll be 10-15min. 40min later he comes back and says the car is ready to roll...yeah right. all the did was adjust the idle again. we are now back right where we started back in november. anyhow, i get in and fire her up. same thing maybe a little less vibration...naw. i tell him and he tells me that im wrong. i say i wanna check another 2001 altima. after searching for 10 min he pulls up with a 99 gxe. and says that he has to let it warm up cuz its cold. 20min later we go outside and he checks the 99n gxe and says oh its the same. i say can i check??? he says fine. i get in and its alot smoother than mine. he says no. i say yes. i go back to my car and make sure and it is a difference of two worlds. he goes okay fine. i'll find you a 2001 altima to check. im like i don't have much time i have to go. he says call me on monday and he'll have a talk with nissan head office engineering dept. i tell him that why didn't you agree in the first place and make me waste my time. he goes i tried to satisfy you. i say no...cuz all ur tryin to do is prove to me my car is okay when it isn't and all ur doin is coverin it up by raising the idle speed. then i go on to say that this car is everything apart from a brand new vehicle. i've had to deal with so much bs that it is hard to believe for a new car. now i say, that you've pissed me off with ur lies and wasting my time...i want you to deal with the crappy fuel mileage problem...the carpet that is yet again coming out again. and find a way to compensate for all my time and gas money wasted on this defective car. he says call me monday...and i'll give u a loner car while head office looks at the car.

well once i get the loner i am going to harrass it if it is a dealership car.

this is everything apart from customer service. they don't take me seriously cuz im 17. they are so cheap and stupid. can't even figure out the problem and even if they can...they are too cheap to fix it. brand new cars should have no problems with them. the car now has 22500 km and the problem started way long ago. i haven't even had the car for a year now. well my goal is to get them to replace the car.

my dad called the dealership after i got back and told the service manager that if the problem is not corrected within the next visit. a letter will be written to head office of the way the "#1 volume nissan dealership in canada (401-dixie nissan)" has treated us. also a visit will be paid to my dad's lawyer and nissan will be sued for selling us a defective car or failure to fix a problem under warranty. suckers...they gonna get it up the ass now

anyone with a 2nd gen have a similar problem with their car in the early stages??? lemme know thanks. and thanks again for readin my story.

·
Senior Player Hater
1,377 Posts
Dude, if all you care about is the gas mileage, why not just get a honda insight. Sorry to hear that you got what seems to be a shitty dealership and a lemon of a car, but nissan is by far a superior car manufacturer, and any problem you might have with your car can easily be compensated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's not the Car it's the dealer. If you have a warranty you should try another dealer because it's obvious this one is full of sh**! Did you buy this car New or Used? If it's Used you should do a vehicle history check at carfax.com. They will tell you if it was in an accident and sometimes the maintenance records.

Dealers are about the dollars. Maybe their hoping your warranty will expire and BAM!!!! Hit your ass with the real problem so you can pay for it instead of them.

Check someplace else and stop fooling with those idiots. And don't let them give you any crap because your young. If you need to, have a Lawyer contact them for you. That always seems to work. Or contact Nissan and complain like SH**. They hate dissatisfied customers. Go Hard. :angry2:

FYI: If it was in an accident and they didn't tell you, in some cases you can sue them. Check the laws in your area.

·
2,845 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. It sounds like you got a lemon. I don't know if you have any lemon laws in Canada, but chances are if you push it enough, Nissan will replace the car for you. Similarly, Flarearrow who is a member here got a lemon and even though they gave him a load of crap for a while, Nissan eventually replaced the car. So there is hope for you. Sounds like you're taking the right steps though.

All in all, good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

·
Alty Go Boom
507 Posts
My 94 GXE has a jacked idle and i had them reset the idle witch helped a bit but my car has 75000 on it so a lil vibration is no biggy my subs shake the car more =). but on a new one thats kinda weird.

·
m.i.a. since 2003
24 Posts
yup i'd say that sounds like a lemon or at least a very incompetent dealership service dept

i have/had an issue with a ford dealer where i took my contour after the second and 4th gears burned out (autotranny)

i have a warranty and so the tranny was replaced at very little cost to me overall....plus a waterpump thermostat a recall repair and various hoses coolant and tranny fluid....plus a couple of expensive transmission mounts total bill 4100.+....cost outta my pocket 823.00....not bad but more than i wanted or expected to spend since my ded. is only $100...

anyway my car was in the shop for like 3 weeks and when i went to pick it up the service guy asks if i wasn't sure i wanted it washed (i had already told the cashier that i didn't)....i told him that was where i was on my way to, the car wash....well after i get in the car has engine grime on the drivers visor, the floor and the door handle....found out why he wanted to wash it so bad

beside that, there were two (new) scratches....one on the inside top of the drivers door (looked like its been covered up with a magic marker or something) and the other on the passenger front door cant miss it

my side skirts are popping off right in front of the rear wheels on both sides

i didn't notice these things til i had left the dealership and it was too late to go back.....when the customer service ho called the next morning to see if i was satisfied, i told her what i had found messed up on my car...her advice was to go back and show the service dork....

well i do that and he starts in with 'well we talked about there were some scratches when u brought the car in....' at which point i flipped but not completely or he'da been knocked tha hell out....he never even saw the other side of my car didn't try to address the side skirts or the dirty interior and instead started an argument with me asking me what did i want them to do about it

i told him that i would see what the cust serv ho suggested and he gave me blah blah about managers having to decide course of action and then he couldn't reach anyone to come out saying they were in a meeting....then he called and couldn't reach cust serv ho (i had talked to her only 30 mins b4) finally i just left because i was getting louder and louder and was truely ready to hit him in the mouth

after i got home 15min drive i called back the ho and she answered her phone right away....and said that he had just called her after i left ....then when i told her he said he tried to reach her while i was there she then said tha same and then she started appologizing profusely....i guessed that when/if he called her while i was there she blew me off.....i ended the conversation with her telling me that she was gonna 'pull my file' and call me back........of course i didn't hear shit else from her

anyway long story somewhat shorter im still debating whether to contact ford motor co only reason i haven't already is that i dont believe anything will come of it

now the car idles rough as hell in any gear other than park....used to only be slightly rough idle in reverse....the roughness goes away when i accelerate but my car feels like shit now and im in the process of trying to figure out where to take it, because i know if i go back to that dealership without fomoco making me an appt im gonna have to fight maybe literally

my girls altima purchased last weekend with 26k miles (2001 gxe limited ed....was a rental car)...was smooth as glass the first few days now tonight when i got in and drove it i notice its kinda rough at idle.....she bought it from a nissan dealer and its spose to be certified and in fact felt like brand new when she first got it....overall very nice but after reading this post i hope the tranny isn't on its way to a problem

·
Registered
106 Posts
dealership warning

--Yeah bad dealership can F#ck you over! In Hawaii never evey buy anything form Infiniti Nissan!!! They are bad news. They seem all slick, but their techs are idiots. Other Nissan dealerships agree.

New City Nissan rules!!! They fix things fast, and never charge for more time than what they actually do. They actually found some of my problems in 15 minutes, and only charged me for 15 minutes!!!

Infiniti charged me $70 for an hour of screwin around. I asked them to find out what the whining noise is in my engine bay. They checked and told me it was my pulley. I buy the pulley take the pulley off and start the car. The whining is still there. It's my air con compressor. Good thing I didn't take the pulley out of the bag. I returned it and bitched out the service manager.

It seems like you can't trust even so called high class mechanics. They must rob those infiniti drivers all the time, and they don't even know it.

Off the subject but don't buy anything from the Cutter dealerships here either. The mob is more honest than those guys. Just my $0.02.

--pyratio

·
Registered
136 Posts
little 17 year old boy:

You should be lucky you're first car is a 2001 altima and it's supposedly brand new. I'm sure a lot of us weren't fortunate enough to start out with such a car, I had an 83 crap brown toyota celica with about 100, 000 miles to start off with. If you're getting such bad gas mileage it could be because you haven't rotated you're tires, ever think of that?

Nuff said

G

·
dude, i've driven my 99 altima to 60,000 miles, and about to put on 20,000 more this summer... i love road trips. so far, the car has not given me any problems whatsoever, except the original shocks wearing out, but that's to be expected and that was fine since i anyway replaced them with kybs.

nissan is high quality, you just got a lemon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dont trip

My car has a shitty idle too....I just ignore it since the dealer around here sux cock anyways. I have to drive home if I want decent service. My first car was a 78 Camaro that drank hella gas, was covered in primer and the cam made it shake so bad that you could barely set a soda can on the roof and have it stay where you placed it. I dont doubt that you appreciate your car but alot of us started with alot worse rides.

·
There is no substitute.
6,812 Posts
:flames: Boo hoo hoo... my daddy bought me a brand new car for my first car and its not perfect... Be happy that your parents bought you a brand new ride and stop complainin cause u cant take care of it and that because of it an entire car manufacturer sucks. Try paying for your own first car and for EVERYTHING that goes wrong with it. :flipbird:

·
upward spiral
1,382 Posts
hey bro , ur not the only one here that has had problems with their 2001.....I myself had to have a few things done...

1> Noticed a green fluid that had been sprayed onto my battery and area...dealership had to replace the ac compressor..

2. I went to drop my car....whatta you know... get 3 springs installed and the 4 strut wont pop out, its rear right side...we tried eveything to get that bitch out, even a torch! No luck! I ended up having to buy a whole new strut assembly which had the strut, upper and lower control arm, and spring....

3. Well my car was having major problems starting up. i mean major..i had to leave it at gas stations and stores sometimes. What happened is that the starter kill was malfunctioning and not reading the keys right. They had to replace the entire stock alarm system. That is after the car had been in the shop for a total of a months time....ebcause they thought it was somthing mechanical not electronical.

4. Stupid keyless entry remotes had to be replaced 2 times because the cheap buttons stick!

5. I dunno yet

all i know is that u gotta roll with the punches...my bro had a 2001 4 cyl POS ranger and it was lemoned out, now hes got a 2002 focus zx3 hatchback, and didnt have to pay a dime more for it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.