The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my 03 Alty consumes oil already. About 2 quarts between oil changes. It doesn't smoke until I floor it past 4 grand. I've done some searching and come to a conclusion that she may have bad piston rings. I was wanting to fix up on this engine but I've also want to get a new motor. I'll probably do a compression test soon too. If piston rings are bad, can I fix it? Or is it best to get a reman engine? The car drives fine and doesn't really give me any problems. I want to resolve this problem before I do any mods to the motor.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,021 Posts
Ever had your precats checked? rings don't go bad on these cars normally, it's usually the death-by-precat that causes onset of high oil consumption.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed my precat like two years ago.

·
7,021 Posts
I removed my precat like two years ago.
Why, and were they already going at that time?

FWIW, bad pre-cats kill engines. Period. Unless you can somehow magically and instantly remove all the abrasive dust from inside your engine the instant it happens...I mean, you can change oil until the cows come home if you want, but then, one day sometime later, your oil consumption suddenly creeps up. A couple of months later you notice and post something to the effect of hey, my oil consumption is crazy, what's up?!

Just because you headered (is that a word?!?) your car 2 years back, doesn't mean the lethal poison wasn't already injected.

Yes your rings ARE shot, but my point is there could be a whole lot more wrong than just that.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why, and were they already going at that time?

FWIW, bad pre-cats kill engines. Period. Unless you can somehow magically and instantly remove all the abrasive dust from inside your engine the instant it happens...I mean, you can change oil until the cows come home if you want, but then, one day sometime later, your oil consumption suddenly creeps up. A couple of months later you notice and post something to the effect of hey, my oil consumption is crazy, what's up?!

Just because you headered (is that a word?!?) your car 2 years back, doesn't mean the lethal poison wasn't already injected.

Yes your rings ARE shot, but my point is there could be a whole lot more wrong than just that.
I removed the pre catalytic converter because I didn't want major engine damage. I removed it just before the majority of the precat particles got sucked into the engine. I'm pretty sure I still got a little of that stuff in my motor, but not as bad as I seen other people's. My oil consumption's been the same since I had the car.

I'm just gonna get a new motor anyway. I was just wondering if I still could fix this one up. Guess not.:(

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Any codes .

I would do a compression test , that way you ll know if their s something wrong .

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna do a compression test soon. I wanted to get a new motor anyway because of all the problems the QR has had. I've locitited the screws and got a cat less header, I just need a new motor and I'll be set.

And what about Jimwolf Balance shaft? I was reading that if you rev past 6000 rpm (which I don't bc it smokes) that it's actually revving at 12000 rpm?! Holy shinkies! And also the balance shafts add problems to the QR. I haven't heard of this before till now. Sooo, I'll have to get this done when I get a new motor. I plan on getting one from Karking. Has anyone bought from them? They seem to have quality work but they're so far away!

After those few things have been taken care of, the motor should run forever and a millennium, right. Cause I don't want to trade this car in. I fell in love with it.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any codes .
I checked today doing the pedal method. Only one code came up and it's the P0340 which is the cam shaft sensor. It can't be right because I changed the sensor to a brand new genuine updated metal Nissan sensor.:banghead:

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Gee that sux !

Maybe the code will go with time , was the ecu reset in order to clear the code !

·
zerolimit
304 Posts
I checked today doing the pedal method. Only one code came up and it's the P0340 which is the cam shaft sensor. It can't be right because I changed the sensor to a brand new genuine updated metal Nissan sensor.:banghead:
mtrain bought a new hatachi sensor metal he switched it out to the stock one and his motor would fire up after that just saying

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gee that sux !

Maybe the code will go with time , was the ecu reset in order to clear the code !
Yeah, I cleared the code. Nothing seems wrong (knocking on wood.) The car drives fine.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New motor soon

Ok, I'm about to install a new motor within the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions. How much would fluids be? My mechanic is putting my motor in and he said that labor is gonna be $840 and didn't tell me a price for fluids. And how do I break in a new motor? Drive it like a grandma for 1500 miles? lol

·
7,021 Posts
Ok, I'm about to install a new motor within the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions. How much would fluids be? My mechanic is putting my motor in and he said that labor is gonna be $840 and didn't tell me a price for fluids. And how do I break in a new motor? Drive it like a grandma for 1500 miles? lol
New, reman, short, long block? How much for the motor??

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever had your precats checked? rings don't go bad on these cars normally, it's usually the death-by-precat that causes onset of high oil consumption.
If the cats caused the issue, then it is because the cat material has made its way back into the cylinder and worn the walls AND rings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts