The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kawasaki Ownz
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to change it soon and i was wonder what a good brand is and exactly how much does it take to refill? i have a 99 with about 40 xxx miles on it, do u think it is nessessary? please let me know, thanks.

·
Nissan-Suzuki-Infiniti
799 Posts
I've just got my automatic transmission fluid changed at AAMCO. My Altima has 48,000 miles on it.

Also, it takes 10 quarts.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
PlatinumAlty said:
i am wanting to change it soon and i was wonder what a good brand is and exactly how much does it take to refill? i have a 99 with about 40 xxx miles on it, do u think it is nessessary? please let me know, thanks.
I'll tell you exactly how much later today or monday as I've got the 99 FSM from nissan...

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Is 10 quarts the actual capacity, or is that how much it takes to refill it when you do it yourself? I ask because, of course, if you drain it yourself, you don't nearly get it all out, so you don't need as much to refill it. Overfilling would be bad. And I got the impression he was asking because he was planning a DIY change.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
kierandill said:
Is 10 quarts the actual capacity, or is that how much it takes to refill it when you do it yourself? I ask because, of course, if you drain it yourself, you don't nearly get it all out, so you don't need as much to refill it. Overfilling would be bad. And I got the impression he was asking because he was planning a DIY change.
Approximate capacity according to Nissan. I don't believe that includes the torque converter because you're supposed to fill it with fluid before it's installed.

·
Kawasaki Ownz
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kierandill said:
well i was just figureing i will put in the amount that i get out.....that is best way that i can think of...but do u guy thins that it is even nessessary to mess with? again i only got 40000 and i have no tranny problems (knock on wood)......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Peterson said:
I'm assuming you have an auto. There are several synthetic brands out there. But they are much more expensive. I personally run a synthetic wherever possible.
How about a 5 Speed? Where are the drain and fill?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Takes between 4 and 5 quarts for a manual transmission. I've had good results with Redline MT90 gear oil. The fill plug is near the battery, facing the front of the car. It has a square center to accept a 1/2 inch square drive (you just need the rachet, no socket required for the fill plug). The drain plug is next to this steel frame member that runs longitudinal to the car. It is near the exhaust, across from the oil pan. Can't remember the size of the socket, I think it is a 14mm or 17mm. Fair warning though - the gear oil has an unpleasant smell to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts