The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......driving on the way home last night I tried to punch it a little to get around a slow driver on the highway, and when I hit it the car had no power....ran real sluggish (like I was running out of gas).....and would not go over 2500 RPMs. I am gonna throw the stock intake back on when I get home from work and try and get to the dealer before they close tonight. Friggen sucks!! :angry4: :angry4:

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Any updates?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope....probably won't know anything until tomorrow. I couldn't get into the dealer until almost 6:00. I am pretty sure it is the MAF. I almost forgot how much plastic that damn stock intake was. What a pain.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If it's your MAF just go and buy a intake system cleaner spray and give it a shot. I have seen them do this at the dealership to clean off oil dirt etc. Make sure you buy a spray that says its safe for oxygen sensors and cats.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That is a major pain to put the stock intake setup back on. I had to do this when my MAF went bad. Now I got to put my stock intake back on again for when I bring it in for my tranny problem.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it is definitely the MAF. They called me late yesterday and said that is what the problem was. They don't have one in stock, and they can't order one until Monday so I am not going to get my car back until at least Tuesday. What bothers me is that they said that it would be covered under warranty, but then they turned around and started asking questions about my advanced timing. They said that is what might have cause the MAF to die.

Now help me out here guys, but my advanced timing should not have anything to do with the MAF sensor correct. It almost sounded like they were trying to get some ammo on me. They said that they were going to look into it further on Monday. Since they already said it wa covered, I should not have anything to worry about correct??

·
Registered
153 Posts
You should tell them that you don't know what advanced timing is so they don't give u trouble.

David.

Jayman9207 said:
Well it is definitely the MAF. They called me late yesterday and said that is what the problem was. They don't have one in stock, and they can't order one until Monday so I am not going to get my car back until at least Tuesday. What bothers me is that they said that it would be covered under warranty, but then they turned around and started asking questions about my advanced timing. They said that is what might have cause the MAF to die.

Now help me out here guys, but my advanced timing should not have anything to do with the MAF sensor correct. It almost sounded like they were trying to get some ammo on me. They said that they were going to look into it further on Monday. Since they already said it wa covered, I should not have anything to worry about correct??

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DressUpMyCar said:
You should tell them that you don't know what advanced timing is so they don't give u trouble.

David.
They first said that it was covered under warranty, and then they started asking me questions about whether or not I had the computer modified. They had to plug my car into the computer to see what was going on, and it is not that hard for them to see that the timing was advanced. I just have a feeling that they are going to try and blame the timing advance as the cause of the problem. That is a bunch of crap though because the timing has nothing to do with the MAF sensor.

·
ex-nissan owner
1,519 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
They first said that it was covered under warranty, and then they started asking me questions about whether or not I had the computer modified. They had to plug my car into the computer to see what was going on, and it is not that hard for them to see that the timing was advanced. I just have a feeling that they are going to try and blame the timing advance as the cause of the problem. That is a bunch of crap though because the timing has nothing to do with the MAF sensor.
who advanced your timeing though?

·
ex-nissan owner
1,519 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
A dealer here in Austin.
is it the same dealer your car is at now? because what I am getting at is.. if the dealer does something to your car (ie. advances your timeing) then they are responsible for whatever may happen.. if they advanced the timeing on the car.. then if the maf died because of it (which I dont think it is) then they would still have to honor your warrenty due to the fact, that they modified the timeing for you..

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it is not at the same dealer I got the timing done. The only place you can get it done is at the dealer (for now that is). There is no way the MAF problem was caused by the timing advance. I told the dealer that has my car though that the other dealership had advanced it. I called them this afternoon (no new news yet.....part comes in tomorrow), and they did not say anything else to me, so I am assuming that everything is cool and it is covered under warranty. I will have to wait and see what they say tomorrow when they call me to let me know the car is done........I wanna see what their explanation is???? These are Nissan techs we are talking about here you know.....

·
ex-nissan owner
1,519 Posts
yea my MAF went bad about a month ago.. and I have never even messed with air intakes, or k&n filters... and it still went bad.. I believe it's just a bad design on nissans part..

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took a really good look at it and it really is a POS.......nothing to it at all. A bunch of people are thinking that the MAF is going to be part of a new TSB soon because it is so crappy and becuase of all of the problems popping up with it (intake modded or not).

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
A bunch of people are thinking that the MAF is going to be part of a new TSB soon because it is so crappy and becuase of all of the problems popping up with it (intake modded or not).
Well, let's hope...seems as though this problem
has been out now for quite a while and Nissan
hasn't acted on it...

I for one don't like the idea of driving around
with a ticking time bomb MAF sensor...

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Ya know, Nissan sold 10,000 more Altimas last year than they were anticipating, and the corresponding drop in Maxima sales that they thought would happen didn't happen. So by all measurements, the Altima, and to a greater degree Nissan, had a successful year. They need to fix this and the throttle hesitation issue (the two may very well be one in the same).

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well....they just called me. Car is fixed and ready to be picked up tonight. No charge.....covered under warranty. They said that the sensor itself just failed (died). They did a bunch of testing since they had my car for so long and that was the only conclusion that they could come up with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts