The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned one, kinda want one now for defense to keep around the house. What should I get a handgun like a Glock or Sig, or just a decent 12 gauge? What else do I need to know before I buy?

·
OG
4,071 Posts
most people are turned off to buying guns when they find out how much paperwork is involved, background checks by the FBI etc.

before u buy ANYTHING ... go shooting at a range, best with someone who knows what they are doing. everyone has a personal fave when it comes to guns, .22, .45, 9mm, rifle, shotgun etc.

most people i know buy .33 snub-nose revolvers for self defense, but firing one is more uncomfortable then goin hand-to-hand with an intruder. note: bigger is NOT always more dangerous, especially to the shooter.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to shoot a lot in the desert with friends' guns when I lived in AZ no probs there. Just never owned one personally, and looking for some very general advice. Gun show? Gun store? Prices? Types? Links?

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
Just for defense? I saw a study somewhere about the effect that the sound of a shotgun being cycled had on a person. Supposedly that sound alone is a pretty big deterrant. As far as handguns go, I'm sort of in the market as well. I've just been going to the range every now and then and renting out different handguns. So far I really like the HK USP and SA XD-40. Never really been a fan of the feel of a Glock. It's like I'm shooting a plastic brick.

HK

SA

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we don't have indoor shooting ranges here on every corner like you have there in AZ so I can't just rent stuff and try it out! :) Thanks for the advice though, I'll check those out online!

1,407 Posts
Do not listen to the pussies that are bad mouthing fire arms. I own several hand guns and a shotgun. For in the house defense I would say a Glock is the best bang for the buck.

·
STi Driving Member
1,339 Posts
A Glock is great, but a 12 gauge would serve you better if you are buying it for home defense. With the Glock, you stand the chance of missing... If this happened and the violator was armed, you would then stand a very good chance of getting shot yourself. With a shotgun, you don't have to be dead on with your first shot to take someone down.

·
Banned
2,015 Posts
"Hit em with a banjo"
"a banjo bob?"
"hey i saw a guy get hit with a banjo once and he went down"

I have a friend who says glocks are made of plastic pieces that break. Ive always been fond of owning a beretta 9mm. 21 soon and conceled wepons permits are legal in michigan. the state has to prove your not worthy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's the deal. I've been around shooting my whole life. 4 time Arizona state sproting clay champ. I suggest this. Go to a gunstore, pick out a "style" you're comfortable with. Then buy one from a REPUTABLE gun manufacturer. I.E. SIG, Colt, H&K, Beretta shotguns, Mossberg (sp) shotguns, Glock. Don't decide you like a 9mm and buy a Taurus cause it's cheaper, spend the extra 50-100 bucks and buy a brand that's carried by law enforcment. I carry a SIG p229 .40 cal, a Walther P99 .40 cal, a Walther P22 .22 cal.. Depends on what mood I'm in. I also have an AR15 with about 1500$ worth of customer work done, two shotguns, a Ruger 10/22, and an old SKS... They all have their applications, you just need to figure out what yours will be. E-mail me if you have any questions.

1,407 Posts
SHIFT_Bling said:
A Glock is great, but a 12 gauge would serve you better if you are buying it for home defense. With the Glock, you stand the chance of missing... If this happened and the violator was armed, you would then stand a very good chance of getting shot yourself. With a shotgun, you don't have to be dead on with your first shot to take someone down.

The problem with the shot gun for home defense is that the barrel is long and it can not be brought to bear as easily as a hand gun can. If you can point the shot gun at the target then it si better in terms of making a hit but if you are jumped or surprised of in close quarters then a hand gun is the way to go. The shorter the better for urban environments.

·
the neighbor of the beast
630 Posts
if you are not taking it out of the house, shotguns can be easily altered to 15.5 inch or so barrel. pistol grip also, if desired.

if a handgun is desired, a revolver is very reliable and cheap for what you get. however, if the action of an automatic pistol is your thing, the best way to look at is what kind of safety system and action are you comfortable with? you should chose what you have used. for me, a S&W is most familiar. it has a true safety, plus added ones like it can't fire without the clip, even if a round is chambered. ...almost all models of h&k or Sig pretty much have no safety. if a round is in the chamber, and you pull the trigger, it will fire no matter what. glocks have a "trigger safty" which is just to avoid accidental discharge while un-holstering it. it pretty much has no safety. they are not my personal choice anyway. all of these guns are just slightly different though, you chose what suits your needs and experience best. i personally don't chamber a round until ready to kill, but s&w still feels best. it's not that i like or need the multiple safeties so much, i'm just used to their guns.

if you plan on shooting .40 is expensive, and 9 is cheap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts