The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: This was all soooo random... I had no idea.

Word got around the office that I "know about computers". So this guy comes up to me, asking me how much to upgrade his system. I tell him I can build him a good computer for cheaper than major brands like Dell and Gateway. I give him a quote which includes my cut, tell him I'll install his system at his house for him. He's sold. And he's got a bunch of friends with crappy computers and is referring me.

I'm loving this. At the rate of one new computer setup a day, I'd still be making twice as much as my current job! Bring on the friends! :D

What the fuck took me so long??

·
14,455 Posts
I do this stuff on the side too, but it gets tiring after awhile when you're working 40 hours a week plus commuting time. After a few years of it, i've cut wayyyy back and just do things for close friends.

·
How now brown cow?
3,865 Posts
Chris said:
I do this stuff on the side too, but it gets tiring after awhile when you're working 40 hours a week plus commuting time. After a few years of it, i've cut wayyyy back and just do things for close friends.

Me too, the money is nice, but it gets to be a pain supporting them after a while.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my goal would be to get enough referrals and enough of a client base that I can afford not to have a 40hr/wk job, and just work 2 hours a day at some random person's house, putting their computer together. I mean, it's not that hard, after having done it for my brother in law... Just put the hardware together, then install Windows, all this at home. Drive to the person's house, plug it in, leave. Easiest thing ever. :)

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
Chris said:
exactly !

thajones said:
Me too, the money is nice, but it gets to be a pain supporting them after a while.
exactly !!

rEvVoMaNiAc said:
I mean, it's not that hard, after having done it for my brother in law... Just put the hardware together, then install Windows, all this at home. Drive to the person's house, plug it in, leave. Easiest thing ever. :)
hehe, you'll learn the hard way then. :confused2 the computers aren't the problem, its the poeple that are annoying.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
wankski said:
:confused2 the computers aren't the problem, its the poeple that are annoying.

^^^^agreed^^^

dude its all in whether or not u are gonna support these people and see them. I ONLY do it for close friends who are local. Hope these arent work people cause if u are NOT supporting them u will hear the whining... or maybe I just have bad experiences....

·
hello
3,517 Posts
Yep I used to LOVE building computers, i used to read all the reviews and previews for new parts. But when I did that, ALL my friends would be like i need a computer, help me. I have a virus help me. My computer is slow help me. My printer does work. help me. It will get annoying soon enough. Shoulda told him to get a dell, so Dell can take care of their annoying support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts