The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2012 Maxima. Vehicle starts and allow for a brief rev up of engine. Then will not respond to the gas pedal after initial startup. Very strange behavior! Vehicle will then continue to idle just fine with no issue at all. Just will not respond at all to the gas pedal being pressed down after initial startup. Security issue? Can’t be a fuel pump issue I don’t think. See the attached pic of the dash board too. Almost all light are on.
Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Odometer Automotive design

·
Registered
9 Posts
You must have 'throttle by wire' meaning there's a sensor reading the pedal position and reporting it to the engine control computer. Do a visual inspection of the gas pedal, look for an electrical connection or device. There has to be wires. Maybe you will spot something amiss. If the check engine light stays on, there will be stored codes, likely one referencing the pedal position system (whatever Nissan calls it). You would need a scanner to read the codes, and probably a technician to troubleshoot it. The old system most of us are familiar with was cable operated from the gas pedal to the engine where a throttle position sensor was included to keep the computer aware of what the driver was doing with the gas pedal. More gas, more, more.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Have 2012 Maxima. Vehicle starts and allow for a brief rev up of engine. Then will not respond to the gas pedal after initial startup. Very strange behavior! Vehicle will then continue to idle just fine with no issue at all. Just will not respond at all to the gas pedal being pressed down after initial startup. Security issue? Can’t be a fuel pump issue I don’t think. See the attached pic of the dash board too. Almost all light are on.
View attachment 102447
Judging from what you wrote, I am under the impression that you are not attempting to repair you car yourself.

Your best bet is to find a shop you trust and let the diagnose the problem/s, and repair.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
How old is battery? Check it for at least 12.3 volts or more and the charging system too. The computer will disable if it doesn't have enough volts to work then everything can go awry. Possibly why you have all the varied errors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is battery? Check it for at least 12.3 volts or more and the charging system too. The computer will disable if it doesn't have enough volts to work then everything can go awry. Possibly why you have all the varied errors.
I think you are on to something here. I have been getting responses elsewhere as well that if the Alternator is bad...that this type of vehicle messes up the computer and disallows for acceleration response from the gas pedal. I should note that the vehicle does respond initially to the gas pedal with high rpms for the first couple seconds after starting up the vehicle...but then its almost as if the computer kicks in and tell the system to not respond anymore. Could this definitely be an alternator issue?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Voltmeter pays for itself instantly there, get one and check battery. Alt stops charging and battery then runs down to stall the car out; you may be at the point right before the stall, everything starts going whacky. The check engine light may have fake codes as the computer starts naming off anything not working right due to low power.

Battery needs 12.3 volt and preferably higher, the tenths kill you there. Alt running needs 13.5 or greater volt at warm idle all loads off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts