The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys.

My 2008 2.0 has been misfiring, and if you're unaware, accessing the ignition coils and spark plugs requires removing the intake manifold and separating the throttle body.

I'm curious how I would go at diagnosing a potentially bad ignition coil. Doesn't seem wise to start and run the engine without the intake manifold, and I'm not even sure if it could without the throttle body attached.

Only option I can come up with is just changing the plugs, and seeing if the problem goes away. If not, I'll just have to disassemble everything and go from there.

I don't want to have to cough up the extra $100+ for all four coils to buy them and replace them all at the same time as the plugs. The plans I have for this car going forward, it is certianly not going to be a daily driver for me any more.

So, in conclusion, anybody have any info on how I would test the coils? I tried searching, but nothing helpful has come up. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You can test them for primary and secondary resistance if you can get the specs which are likely in service manual. Also when intake is off look at the bottoms of coils for any burned markings.

Engine won't run with no intake on it and you may even create a fire if you still have injectors hooked up and intake loose, you will be saturating the air with fuel from injectors. How one blows a car up.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Any ignition coil has two sets of windings inside to make spark, one with bigger wire (primary) and the other with a whopping lot of much thinner wire (secondary). The thicker wire carries power and when the power is cut the collapse of a magnetic field then induces spark in the much thinner wiring wraps. Where your spark comes from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ignition coil has two sets of windings inside to make spark, one with bigger wire (primary) and the other with a whopping lot of much thinner wire (secondary). The thicker wire carries power and when the power is cut the collapse of a magnetic field then induces spark in the much thinner wiring wraps. Where your spark comes from.
What would be the step by step procedure of testing this?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
You're asking for the at least 10 page book and I was waiting for you to do it. Look up youtube, what you want will be in several places on the web.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts