The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Altima 3.5 SE for about 3 weeks and put about 1000 miles on it. I just realized today that I've been driving in the wrong gear since I received the car. I thought that the "3D" was one gear and didn't realize they were separate. So since I've had the car I've been driving in "3". Personally, I don't know why they did that but that's no excuse for my stupidity.

Anyway, can someone tell me if this harms the engine in any way. I've been driving with the average RPM's between 3000-4000 instead of the normal 2000-3000 when it's in "D". Since this was my first 6 cylinder, I thought the high RPM's were normal.

Any info can help.

By the way I love the car and this site is excellent.

·
No, I am not a newb
269 Posts
Welcome to the site, as for any engine damage....It could come back to haunt you in 5 or 6 years.....

But then again, I could be wrong....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
As long as you didn't use that gear to drive @ 60MPH or above for extended period of time (30min or more). You're ok.

Your gas mileage must suck keep it in 3rd gear.

At worst it's just pre-mature worn out. If make sure you get rid of it before warranty runs out.

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
haha. you had it in 3-D mode huh. i always joke to my passengers that it is in 3-D mode. 2 and 1 dimentionals are below it. i admit, they are close, but that is no excuse. even though the shifter is gated, dont worry about sliding it left or right or put it in the right spot. you simply need to pull straight back or push striaght up, it will go where it goes. you have to push it to the side to get to the lower gears. even once in a long while, i will notice it is louder when im cruising fast and ill lok and seee i bumped it over into 3rd, but come one, theres no excuse for that

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
craig2473 said:
So since I've had the car I've been driving in "3". Personally, I don't know why they did that but that's no excuse for my stupidity.
You're not that much of an idiot! I tried the auto as well and thought that the car was a bit too loud at highway speeds; then, I fiddled with the lever and found the right 'cruising' gear.

My dealer took a good ten minutes upon delivery to show us the ins and outs, and had I purchased the auto, I'm quite sure that he would have covered that D3 vs D.

I don't think that your car is any worse for wear. Enjoy your improved gas mileage!

PG:D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Reving regulary at 3-4000 will not hurt the VQ engine, or most others for that matter. The answer's right on your tach. Redline is at 6750. That's the range you don't want to stay in.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Mature Member
1,874 Posts
Re: Re: I'm an idiot

Pierre Garneau said:

My dealer took a good ten minutes upon delivery to show us the ins and outs, and had I purchased the auto, I'm quite sure that he would have covered that D3 vs D.

PG:D
That is one of the first things my dealer showed me. Every dealer should...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
No big deal driving in 3 since D is equivalent to OD. You actually did not harm anything except your gas mileage. Perhaps if you where on 1 or 2 then I would be concern.

I use 3 to pass on the highway but most of the time it's in D.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
^^^^^

yea man dont worry about it. No problems. I have a 5 speed and it would be like driving it in 4th gear all the time, not bad for the car, but bad for the gas mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts