The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a Nissan service bulletin on where Nissan was requiring this tool to replace the rear main seal on the Vq35, VQ30, and a few other Nissan engines.

I have replaced this seal three times now on my new engine, and this last time the seal is pouring oil right on the hot exhaust pipe.

So I'm going to order the tool as I'm tired of the leaks.

So what I propose is that when I'm finished with the tool I will rent it out to members here who need to replace their rear main seal.

We all know how much trouble it is to replace this seal, not to mention there is NO WAY to test if it was done right [ie the seal didn't fold over during installation] until you get everything back together.

The tool is $109.00 so here is the deal. I will require a deposit of the full price of the tool which is $110, plus shipping. The actual rent, what I think is fair, is $20.

So when you return the tool you get $90 back.

This tool will work on any VQ30, 35, or 40 engine so it don't necessarily have to be for an Altima, it can work on any Nissan car/truck/suv with a VQ engine listed above.

Thanks an PM me if you want to rent it. I'm going to order it this Friday so give me a couple of weeks to get it in, and try it on my engine.

Might wanna make this one a sticky.

·
zerolimit
186 Posts
I found a Nissan service bulletin on where Nissan was requiring this tool to replace the rear main seal on the Vq35, VQ30, and a few other Nissan engines.

I have replaced this seal three times now on my new engine, and this last time the seal is pouring oil right on the hot exhaust pipe.

We all know how much trouble it is to replace this seal, not to mention there is NO WAY to test if it was done right [ie the seal didn't fold over during installation] until you get everything back together.

The tool is $109.00 so here is the deal. I will require a deposit of the full price of the tool which is $110, plus shipping. The actual rent, what I think is fair, is $20.

So when you return the tool you get $90 back.

This tool will work on any VQ30, 35, or 40 engine so it don't necessarily have to be for an Altima, it can work on any Nissan car/truck/suv with a VQ engine listed above.

Thanks an PM me if you want to rent it. I'm going to order it this Friday so give me a couple of weeks to get it in, and try it on my engine.

Might wanna make this one a sticky.
i pick up a new main seal tomorrow for my car but i have the motor out i dont need this right this is for if u have the motor in the car correct ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
im guessing he bought a proper seal/race driver tool, even if the engine is out of the car it is recommended to use a seal driver to properly install it. the #1 cause of a new seal leak is due to improper installation or surface cleaning. why it's great a proper tool is used to install a seal, it's not totally fool proof, stuff happens and could possibly leak afterwards.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
NO its for installing the seal no matter if in the car, or on the engine stand, etc.

I put the seal in my engine TWICE the two times I had it out. The first two times when the engine was out of the car, it had the small drip after installing the new seal.

The last time I installed the seal the engine was in the car, and now it pours oil.

I've been building engines for years now, and on most all Ford rear wheel drive V8 engines you will usually get the occasional drip even with a new seal. Since the Ford engines are rear wheel drive it doesn't hit the exhaust so usually most guys just live with it. However, since there is a tool for the Ford engines I will probably buy one as I HATE oil leaks.

However, unlike a front timing cover seal which is easy to replace, the rear seal isn't which is why I'm NOT going to be doing this for a 4th time...........lol Hence the tool.

So to sum it all up, you get to rent the tool for $20. You pay $110 deposit plus shipping, and keep it as long as you like. When you return the tool you get your deposit back of $110 less shipping, and the $20 for renting the tool.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys bad news.

I ordered the tool last night, and guess what, the shipping date is in JULY!!!!!!

Needless to say I had to pass.

I did get the seal in today, and got it in perfect.

Here is the trick to these little bastards. I pulled the transmission up high enough so that it cleared the flywheel.

I pulled the flywheel, and coming from the driver side wheel opening I had a straight view of the seal. I pulled the old seal, and it had folded on two sides.

So I put the new seal with housing over the crankshaft, and with my new view from dead on I could see it folding. I used a feeler gauge, and slightly pushed it back in, and it went on perfect. I then went back, and added the sealer, and did installed it permanently.

I found another tool, but the price was just too much for my use. I usually build lots of Ford engines so I wouldn't mind paying that much money for something I would use a lot, but just not this.

Here is the tool if anyone is interested,
https://tools.nissantechmate.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemID=48642

1 - 5 of 5 Posts