The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no not the catalyst converter.. i'm gutting my dead cat.....j/k
YEap.. i'm hearing some back firing noise from my exhaust.. might be the cat.. might be the muffler.. who knows..
But even if it's not the cat.. I'm just gonno gut it and remove all the parts inside. MORE FLOW!! WOOHOO~~~ :) I'll be gaining a few ponies with that.. and i'm chaning my muffler to one of those.... now i forget the name... argh!!! um... um...............................OH YEA! :) carbon fiber one with a 4" tip :D I'll post a pic after all this is done.
But just out of curiosity.. would neone not recommend me to remove my cat? And why? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
hee1 said:
no not the catalyst converter.. i'm gutting my dead cat.....j/k
YEap.. i'm hearing some back firing noise from my exhaust.. might be the cat.. might be the muffler.. who knows..
But even if it's not the cat.. I'm just gonno gut it and remove all the parts inside. MORE FLOW!! WOOHOO~~~ :) I'll be gaining a few ponies with that.. and i'm chaning my muffler to one of those.... now i forget the name... argh!!! um... um...............................OH YEA! :) carbon fiber one with a 4" tip :D I'll post a pic after all this is done.
But just out of curiosity.. would neone not recommend me to remove my cat? And why? Thanks!
I think gutting or removing your cat are both illegal. I'm sure removing it is. Might as well replace it with a high-flow cat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: I'm gutting my cat!!

Ry said:

I think gutting or removing your cat are both illegal. I'm sure removing it is. Might as well replace it with a high-flow cat.
yes it is!! that's why i'm gutting it and leaving the cat in there..
so i'll pass inspection :) But emmisions is a different story but we don't test that yet.. maybe in 3yrs.. but by then, there will be cats out for the 02 altima

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Dan I in this [url="http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=16915 said:
thread[/url][/i]
if you gut the cat you will create more turbulence therefor losing horsepower.
Originally posted by flarearrow in this thread
don't remove or gut the cat.

1) it's illegal
2) you'll put holes in the ozone layer
3) a gutted cat will make you lose power because of exhaust flow stagnation.
4) if you're not running a sh!t load of nitrous or boost from a turbo, replacing the cat with straight pipe will not yeild any performance gains.

Originally posted by flarearrow in this thread
Gutting the cat won't do much performance wise, but will pollute the environment like nuts.

Originally posted by 1fastaltima"]Just get a high flow cat. Better than guttin the OEM one, and works better for performance

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ry said:

4) if you're not running a sh!t load of nitrous or boost from a turbo, replacing the cat with straight pipe will not yeild any performance gains.

I caught u there :)

it's leaking shit.. i gotto do SOMETHING to it
the 95 shot wasn't such a good idea hehe:)
Busted my cat and my muffler but now i'm getting better muffler for free :) Good ol' warrenty

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
hee1 said:

I caught u there :)

it's leaking shit.. i gotto do SOMETHING to it
the 95 shot wasn't such a good idea hehe:)
Busted my cat and my muffler but now i'm getting better muffler for free :) Good ol' warrenty
Oh yeah.. forgot about your NOS... For your street application though, I'd recommend bolting on a high-flow for the street and swapping it out with a straight-pipe when you hit the track.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Re: I'm gutting my cat!!

Ry said:

There is no point in gutting a brand new cat. You might end up losing power. Either do a test pipe or to be safe (cops and environment) go with an Random Technology high flow cat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there a high-flow cat that will fit the 02 alty??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: I'm gutting my cat!!

Phatguy said:

There is no point in gutting a brand new cat. You might end up losing power. Either do a test pipe or to be safe (cops and environment) go with an Random Technology high flow cat.
brand new leaking cat. 95 was a bit too much for my car :)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
hee

You are a wild man! I think I would remove the cat and hang onto it, you may need it down the STATE HIGHWAY PATROL ROAD!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: hee

wild willy said:
You are a wild man! I think I would remove the cat and hang onto it, you may need it down the STATE HIGHWAY PATROL ROAD!
never thought about that.. but are there aren't nething out for the 02 altima is there? or is cata universal fit - -?

·
Registered
884 Posts
You could get a muffler shop to make you a bolt in section of pipe, and attach flanges to either side of your cat, so you could pull it out and attach the straight pipe if you want.

A disadvantage to not haveing a Cat is that your cabin of your car will have a strong gas smell. In my old cars, that are pre-catolitic converters, after driving around, no matter what, I always smell like I just mowed the lawn. Kinda sucks.

You had better drive that car into the groune, 'cause I am guessing it will be hard to sell a wrecked and fixed, NOSed, gutted catolitic converter car! However, I say go all out my man!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2002Altima said:
You could get a muffler shop to make you a bolt in section of pipe, and attach flanges to either side of your cat, so you could pull it out and attach the straight pipe if you want.

A disadvantage to not haveing a Cat is that your cabin of your car will have a strong gas smell. In my old cars, that are pre-catolitic converters, after driving around, no matter what, I always smell like I just mowed the lawn. Kinda sucks.

You had better drive that car into the groune, 'cause I am guessing it will be hard to sell a wrecked and fixed, NOSed, gutted catolitic converter car! However, I say go all out my man!
hehehe i NEVER thought about selling my car :)
if i'm going back home to korea, i'm taking my baby with me!!
How dare u speak like thaTT!! SELL???? :mad: j/k
i'm just gonno gut it and wait till a high-flo cat comes out for our car..

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Also if you gut your cat on that '02 you will have a check engine light on all of the time with a cat conv. failure code !!!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SHAWN said:
Also if you gut your cat on that '02 you will have a check engine light on all of the time with a cat conv. failure code !!!!!!!
ARGH!! ANOTHER THING I DIDNT THINK OF!!!
ok that check engine sign would be annoying..

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Leave it on

Too many variables to contend with. Not worth it for a couple of ponies, plus you may lose a few, not to mention your warranty, or go to jail and pay a huge fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why not remove the WHOLE stock exhaust system and have a good exhaust shop run a true dual 2 1/4" set of pipes two universal hi-flow cats, two Dynomax ultra-flow mufflers and tailpipes out the original location? The ehaust note is a little throaty and the tone outside is definitely one that will get you noticed but inside you don't notice it until about 4500-5000 rpm...Oh, we also changed the manifolds to ones from a 300zzx Twin Turbo that had been extrude honed to improve flow....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
merkurman said:
Why not remove the WHOLE stock exhaust system and have a good exhaust shop run a true dual 2 1/4" set of pipes two universal hi-flow cats, two Dynomax ultra-flow mufflers and tailpipes out the original location? The ehaust note is a little throaty and the tone outside is definitely one that will get you noticed but inside you don't notice it until about 4500-5000 rpm...Oh, we also changed the manifolds to ones from a 300zzx Twin Turbo that had been extrude honed to improve flow....
i did exchange it to 2.5" pipes to the cat. And now that u guys told me a lot of things.. i do have to think twice but this cat is a goner! U would't tell me to leave my intake one if it hada whole in it :) This is just a temporary measure until i find a nice hi-flow.
Thanks for all the input guys!! Man... u guys are the best :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.