The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Just go an auto parts store and buy a valve cover gasket set. It will come with the outer gasket and the inner ones for the spark plug holes. It's easy to change . Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,377 Posts
my valve cover's leaking. never got around to replacing the gasket. gasket cost me $17 from the dealer. leaks really slowly.
Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
joehotrod said:
what the hell is a valve oil seal??? go to a parts store and ask for that and you'll get laughed at:confused: :confused:
It didn't seem funny to me when I looked over the valve seal replacement procedure in the Altima FSM.
 

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
kenshi said:


It didn't seem funny to me when I looked over the valve seal replacement procedure in the Altima FSM.
hahahahahah.. the FSM strikes again...

seriously HotRod.. these manuals have terms only Nissan techs use...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
victor said:


hahahahahah.. the FSM strikes again...

seriously HotRod.. these manuals have terms only Nissan techs use...
I wouldn't call it a gasket, but you're right, the FSM is a bit precise with its words.
 

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
Joined
·
324 Posts
Hahahahahaha, this all sounds really easy huh.

"Just go and buy a valve cover gasket. Throw it in there. No problem"

Well, I thought the same thing. And to tell you the truth it was really easy. Until I was putting the valve cover back on. I broke on the bolts that extrude from the head. So now, I have no idea what to do about replacing that bolt, or even how to replace that bolt.

Damn cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,377 Posts
how did you break the bolt? don't a whole lotta people take their covers off to paint/polish them? Haven't heard of anybody breaking anything yet.
I'm still wondering about the grease thing...fsm says to grease some points, service dept guy says no.
Jay
 

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
Joined
·
324 Posts
ThurzNite said:
how did you break the bolt? don't a whole lotta people take their covers off to paint/polish them? Haven't heard of anybody breaking anything yet.
I'm still wondering about the grease thing...fsm says to grease some points, service dept guy says no.
Jay
I have no idea how I broke the bolt, I had my torque wrench out, making sure that I didn't over-torque the bolt (cause that's a surefire way to bust one) and the thing just broke in half.

You don't use grease, you have to use RTV sealent. It helps prevent oil leaks.
 

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
maporsche said:
Hahahahahaha, this all sounds really easy huh.

"Just go and buy a valve cover gasket. Throw it in there. No problem"

Well, I thought the same thing. And to tell you the truth it was really easy. Until I was putting the valve cover back on. I broke on the bolts that extrude from the head. So now, I have no idea what to do about replacing that bolt, or even how to replace that bolt.

Damn cars.
dude.. did you do what I told you to do??? take a dremel or drill and make a groove so you can use a flathead screwdriver...

Tape off everything around it with a plastic bag to prevent shavings from getting in the valves... then drill (better with a dremel) a flat long groove. You can then unscrew with a screwdriver...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top