The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to replace my Altima once it hits 200k miles. I was thinking maybe a late 90s Volvo S70 T-5. Does anyone know of any Volvo forums? If you have any input regarding other cars with comparable power, reliability, and low maintenance costs, I would be interested in listening. Thanks.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
the s70 is a NICE car...my friend owned 2..crashed the first one in a bad accident but it was nicely built that it saved his life...so he got..or actually his parents...got him another one:lol:....it's a quick little car too...i've driven it...leather and all the good stuff:bigok: maintenace i'm not sure:dunno: but he hasn't had problems with his

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if he have the T-5 or the GLT? Any idea what his insurance payments were? I would really like to go turbo with my new car, but I don't want to pay too much for insurance and I want reliability.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Once again, I'm very biased, but get a GTP... if you get a 97-99, the GTP (supercharged), is considered an option package for a GT-level model...so no premium on insurance. Its actually costing a bit less (on my dad's insurance) then my 2k Altima....due to the gtp having abs,daytime lights,tcs...
Just if you throw down money on this car, I recommend finding a rare gtp with cloth interior because the "leather" seats make you feel like you're sliding back in forth in diarrhea.
They're very reliable...you're getting it used with a bit of mileage on it, so the usual little things that break on a GM vehicle would already have been broken and replaced under warranty.....engines are bulletproof, so are transmissions. From reading, the "plagued" spot of these cars are window motors, a passenger side leak...thats about it i think? The superchargers are generally more reliable than turbos, as most of the guys with 150k+ miles on their gtps have only popped the blowers open for an oil change every now and then....how many DSMs you see with 100k+ miles running original turbos with no shaft-play at full boost?
Transmissions are hit and miss with modded cars...some run theirs at the track for years on end with 350+wtq and they dont break...some mod a bit and they go...but thats to be expected with any "family sedan" when you mod it for the track. Engines are extremely torquey...so if you like torque, you wont find a car with this much in its class/range...a simple pulley drop gives you about 25-30hp and about 50TQ...and thats just 1 size down...

This is just my recommendation, and a GTP might not fit your needs, but I'm just putting out what I know...good luck in whatever you choose.

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
honestly, GM cars are great, but they have a lot of stupid little problems like interior falls apart, stupid rattles that never go away but mean nothing performance wise. my uncle has a 93 blazer 4.3 vortec 4X4 beats it to shit. engine still runs great, tranny shifts great, not too noisy good ride, but the interior is shit. i tink it has close to 130K on it (they got it a few years ago cheap and with about 60K on it or something rediculous for the year)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts