The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a first-time Nissan owner I have an 08 Nissan Altima and I just got an oil change my boyfriend did it now I keep seeing my oil light flashing and it's usually when I stop or start driving from a red light or parking and I'm not sure if it's just because the filter might be not tightened all the way or if it's something else wrong because the light doesn't stay solid it just blinks really fast not sure what it could be any suggestions

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
If the oil level is good...and you should know how to check that (if not, there's the Owner's Manual)...then it's either the oil pressure sensor or your oil pump is failing. I assume you don't know the history on the car? There is some history on these pumps failing and they are $$$ to fix.

I assume your BF used 5W-30 for the oil change? Do you know what was in there previously? If the oil pump is failing, then an oil change with 20W-50 should make the light go away...if not, it's the sensor. However, these engine aren't designed to run with 20W-50...far too heavy...so I wouldn't leave it in there longer than necessary to diagnose. You could try 10W-40 as an intermediate step and if it stops the light flickering you might just go with that until you decide to fix/sell/drive into ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts